Sign in to follow this  
Olham

World War One in Colour - "Blood in the Air"

Thanks, Parky, it works great. I just dl them and then play them using my free VLC media player.. another excellent and free program for any one interested (click here). Until I found this player I was getting really fed up with not being able to play DVDs through Windows Media Player or other players that would bog down on commercial DVDs. VLC seems to be able to play or convert just about anything you throw at it, video or music.

Edited by rabu

Regarding the films themselves, I'd never before seen the early RNAS planes taking off from battleships with a tiny runway supported by the big guns!!! That's just incredible.

Want one of those in P4. - A big battleship with a snooker table from the mess for take offs!

...never before seen the early RNAS planes taking off from battleships with a tiny runway supported by the big guns!!! That's just incredible.

Only possible with a Sopwith. My good old sturdy Albatros would ditch in like a stone.

The only German craft that could - perhaps - do that, would be the Fokker Dr.1 and E.V, I suppose.

...never before seen the early RNAS planes taking off from battleships with a tiny runway supported by the big guns!!! That's just incredible.

Only possible with a Sopwith. My good old sturdy Albatros would ditch in like a stone.

The only German craft that could - perhaps - do that, would be the Fokker Dr.1 and E.V, I suppose.

What I'm wondering is, how did they land when they came back? yikes.gif

Did they ditch the plane, or what, they never said?

What I'm wondering is, how did they land when they came back? yikes.gif

Did they ditch the plane, or what, they never said?

Why do I get the feeling ....

No one knows?

Why do I get the feeling ....

No one knows?

Rabu, just an old memory from documentaries

I believe the RNAS made raids on the Zeppelins Hangars with ship lauched Camels

IIRC, they ditched beside the ships upon their return

I know the CAM ships of WW2, (Catapult Aircraft Merchant) had facilities to launch an aircraft but not to recover it, and that elsewhere, float planes were recovered by crane. I've seen photo's my dad took of swordfish floatplanes being lifted.

If the aircraft had no bouyancy to stay on the surface, I suspect the chances of recovery at sea of anything but the pilot were nil. I expect you'd need to ditch alongside and swim for it, find a carrier in your group if there was such a thing, or take your chances like the 1942 Doolittle rain on Tokyo trying to find dry land, hopefully friendly. It begs the question under what desperate circumstances the plane would be launched.

I know the CAM ships of WW2, (Catapult Aircraft Merchant) had facilities to launch an aircraft but not to recover it, and that elsewhere, float planes were recovered by crane. I've seen photo's my dad took of swordfish floatplanes being lifted.

If the aircraft had no bouyancy to stay on the surface, I suspect the chances of recovery at sea of anything but the pilot were nil. I expect you'd need to ditch alongside and swim for it, find a carrier in your group if there was such a thing, or take your chances like the 1942 Doolittle rain on Tokyo trying to find dry land, hopefully friendly. It begs the question under what desperate circumstances the plane would be launched.

Brutal.. Landing on water, even when it's calm can be suicide; wonder how many survived? Those guys must have had the same commitment as the Kamikaze fliers in WWII !