Sign in to follow this  
Cameljockey

XP Crashes after recent updates

It started just recently, and not only on this machine. Random restarts and freezes. I restored the XP Pro 32 to an earlier time and it ran fine, so it seems that the most recent round of updates may be causing it,:minigun: but I haven't cornered the sucker yet!

Edited by Cameljockey

No problems here, but there are so many things that can go wrong with various harware and software combinations that it doesn't mean your problems couldn't be related to some recent updates.

Sometimes really bad things can happen with new software, like the graphics drivers that Nvidia released some time ago and which ended up physically damaging some people's graphics cards.

You could try the sfc scannow command - It means self file check or something. Windows checks it's own files for integrity and re-writes any problems it finds.

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I'd read some more about it first, just in case it's not the fix you need or disrupts your software. I'm no expert, it's just a fix I've heard about.

The thing is, I just loaded a fresh copy of XP Pro into a customer's machine, with minimal programs. It ran fine and then, all of a sudden, after quite a few updates, it commenced to restarting. This morning it restarted at least 5 times in rapid succession. I did the system restore back to yesterday morning when I first loaded it and have had nary a problem since. I'll nail it down sooner or later. You don't reckon Microsoft is sabotaging XP to force folks to switch to Windows 7 do ya?:scare:

Edited by Cameljockey

Cameljokey, in the last 24 hours, I freshly installed 3 XP's in 3 customer's machines, with all the updates, and as far as I know, nobody complained.

But I'll be alert. Thanks.

I have had problems in the past as you describe CJ.

I too have done updates on Clients computers... The update that seems to often cause this problem is the 'System Distribution 3.0'

Worth checking to see if that update was involved somewhere

Oops..sorry, typo...

I meant to say SOFTWARE Distribution service 3.0

my apologies :drinks:

I have no problems with my VLC copy of Windows XP pro on the many machines it has been installed on. :drinks:

Yep, it's rare..but it does happen

Have you ruled out a virus? I have heard that certain viruses can cause random reboots.