Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

How good is the ATI 5850 2gb graphics card

Hi,

I have just ordered a new PC and was wondering if anyone can tell me how good the following graphics card is:

ATI Radeon HD 5850 VaporX - 2 GB - 2xDVI/HDMI/DP (Sapphire)

If the general opinion is that it is not a good graphics card, I am considering changing it for either the GTX470 or the 2gb ATI 5870.

Also for information here is the rest of the system that I have ordered, partly with a view to playing BHAH at a better FPS and also with a view to newer games.

Black ATX Tower Case

10 X USB 2.0 Ports

Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

Creative Audigy SE 7.1 (PCI)

Samsung (SH-D162D) 16x DVD-ROM Black (IDE)

Samsung (SH-S223L) DVD +/- RW 22x - Black - Lightscribe (SATA)

Windows Backup

Built & Tested CP

OCZ 700W Stealth XStream - Low Noise

1.5 TB (1500 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB

AMD Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise

Asus M4A78T-E (AMD 790GX) AM3

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3.4 GHz) AM3 6MB - Black Edition

Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (4x2GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

ATI Radeon HD 5850 VaporX - 2 GB - 2xDVI/HDMI/DP (Sapphire)

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

As far as I know, the 5850 it's a good card. If by any chance I'd the opportunity tho exchange my 4890, I'd choose in this moment, the 5850 1GB.

The new Nvidia 470 seems to be a good option also if you don't mind with heat and noise. REVIEW

But why the 2 GB? Which resolution are you intending to play?

So if you're playing with normal resolutions (like 1920x1200 for example) you should consider the 1GB models and not the 2GB.

Another thing, if money is no major problem, probably I'd choose 5870.

Read this article at Tom's Hardware page.

EDIT: For the rest I'm not used to AMD CPU's so I really can't say anything. But why the Windows Ultimate version? Do you really need it? Wouldn't the PRO be enough?

Edited by Von Paulus

Von Paulus,

I figured the 2gb card would be better than the 1gb card and also the 5850 was £37 cheaper than the 1gb 5870, but on having another look at the prices the 2gb 5870 is only £50 dearer than the card I have opted for, at the moment my monitor resolution is set to 1024 x 768 as that is the one I am comfortable using and it doesn't push my 8600GT to extremes.

The reason that I have opted for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is that I am taking a belt and braces approach as I do not want to get burned later by realising that I have bought the wrong version.

Would you advise going for the 2gb 5870 instead of the 2gb 5850?

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

IMHO if you don't plan to play with more than 1 monitor and not using any resolution superior to 2560x1600, you really don't have too choose the 2GB versions. Unless you want to stay with your card for the next 5 years. Even tough I'm not sure you'd benefit from having a 2GB card. I cannot foretell the future.

My policies regarding graphic cards are always the same. I don't buy graphic card above $300. Each 2 years (3 at most) exchange the graphic card.

Like I've said, if money it's no problem, go to 5870.

As for the Windows version, I'd check Microsoft site to really see the differences between the three (I don't consider the Basic Version) versions.

I bought the Home version, but really should have gone to the Professional because I do some tests once in a while with networks. That is the only reason to me for why to choose the Pro over the Home. Concerning my persdonal case, the Ultimate doesn't bring really nothing special.

Von Paulus,

I was also perhaps mistakenly thinking that 2gb of ram on the graphics card would lead to better frame rates on the games and thus kind of make the card equal to the next card up the chain as it were, ie in this case a 2gb 5850 would be equal to a 1gb 5870.

Also another question is a 700W PSU powerful enough for the system that I have ordered assuming I either stay with the 2gb 5850 or change it to the 2gb 5870 and have all 10 usb ports in operation at once (I am just thinking worst case scenario for the PSU).

Also will the system have adequate cooling as it is or will I need to get some more fans built into it (I will not be overclocking any part of the system)

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Use this calculator. 700W it could be too short for the extra SB card, 4 ddr3, 10 USB and 5870.

As for the cooling I really don't know. There are a lot of solutions. Zalman, Artic Cooling, Noctua, etc. It really depend on a lot of factors. Atmospheric factors, case quality, overclocking... You live in England, near Wales, I'd say you'll have less problems concerning hot temperatures than I for example that live in Portugal. But, like I've told you before, I really I'm not used to work with AMD. For now you can work with the stock solution, but monitor it in the first weeks of usage, specially while playing with it.

What's the PC case? Any reliable brand?

Von Paulus,

I have changed the PSU to a Corsair 850W (CMPSU-850TXUK) and the graphics card to the 2gb 5870, the case is a standard black ATX model, which I am trying to change to the Antec 300 midi black.

I am not sure how to use the calculator, I tried and it showed the system as using 639W which is why I have upped the PSU.

Do you think the 850w PSU will be adequate for my needs?

Again thank you for your help and patience with me.

Rugbyfan1972

I've already assembled a few rigs with that case. Antec is a very good brand. But I really don't know the size of that graphic card you want for your rig. I don't use Sapphire, only Asus or Gigabyte. If the card is the same as the Asus, 10.25 inches, I'd say that it will be on the edge with the Antec 300.

I'd consider and advise you the new model from CoolerMaster the CM690 II Advance. It's a little more expansive, but it has better quality and it's slightly bigger, which is important for cable management and for the assembling of your graphic card. Remember that you've a 6 and a 8 pin power connectors in the rear end of that graphic card, and with a 1/2 inch spare with the Antec 300 it might be just too tight to connect the power cables.

850W it will be enough. I've simulated for extreme conditions and 750/770 it would be enough, but with a 850, sure.

Edited by Von Paulus

Von Paulus,

Which dimension of the case am I looking at that needs to be bigger, is it the depth or the height?

The reason I am asking is that the cm690 II Advance is not listed, but the CM690 is.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

The CM 690 it's the old model. It's a good tower, but it had one problem with power buttons, they were kinda stiff. The new model doesn't have anymore that problem. I'm sure you'll find it in UK already.

http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/

http://www.overclock...A-196-CM&tool=3

It's the depth that is important, specially the inner depth.

EDIT: But if you want to go with the old model, no problem because it's even better for cable management, there is meven more inner space I think, and the 5870 will fit well. The only problem is the button. I could live with that, but you know there are some people who care with that kind of things.

EDIT2: Read the reviews in my second link.

Edited by Von Paulus

Von Paulus,

As the firm I am dealing with does not have the CM690 Advance II and bearing in mind your comments on the CM690, I have stayed with the Antec but gone for the 1200 Black, which I believe will have ample room for the 5870.

Do you have any thoughts on this case?

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

I've never assembled a Antec 1200. From what I've read I think you'll have no problem with 5870.

But there's one thing that I don't like in that PC case. It's the way the 3.5" bays are oriented. It will always be harder to do a good cable management and with that graphic card and the 8 pin connections being in the rear end... trully I don't understand why the Antec engineers still design their cases this way.

But maybe the firm with whom you're dealing maybe they can give you an opinion also. I still don't understand why they can't get the CM690 Advance II. Is that a little firm? Even though.....

Anyway why not the CoolerMaster HAF 922? I've assembled one. In spite don't liking its aesthetic, it seemed very well builded with a good air flow. It will fit a 5870, as far as I read.

Von Paulus,

The firm in question computer planet have a varied selection of cases, but none really that I can see for under £100 that have the depth for the 5870, the only one that I could see was the CM690, but as you said the power button tends to stick.

I also wanted a case with a couple of front usb ports.

Having said I did not want to spend over £100 on the case I have pushed to £107 for the antec 1200. But I have now emailed 4 changes to the firm and have pushed the price up by another £200, so I think at this point I am just going to go with what I have ordered and let them build it for me.

Thank you again for your help and assistance, it shows that this forum has knowledgeable people that are willing to share their knowledge with us less knowledgeable forumites.

Rugbyfan1972

My pleasure Rugby. Any doubt you can contact me by PM.

And Antec is really a good brand; I've two Antec Cases.:grin:

Report back please to tell us/me how is the performance with the new rig.

I just thought I'll add my 5 cents here too.

I just upgraded from a nVidia 8800 ultra to a Sapphire ATI Radeon 5850 Toxic 1GB. As previous posters mentioned, if you are not going over certain resolutions or running multiple monitors, then going for a 2gb 5850 or 70 is probably throwing away valuable dabloons in performance that you won't see.

The 5850 Toxic is factory overclocked so here you might get more bang for your buck, trust me, it is a great card.

Good luck with your decision!

Regards,

G