Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

OT - Router Issue

Anybody got a suggestion for this ?

When I first switch on my PC, if I try to go online, I'm told there's no connection, neither for email or broadband. Thing is, there is! The light on my router flashes to confirm it's connected to a broadband service, but my PC is blocked from establishing a connection.

How do I fix this? Easy. I simply switch off my PC and restart it, (properly, I don't just pull the plug) and though I've changed absolutely nothing, I'm online right away.

All my drivers are up to date, and my router has been reset repeatedly without fixing the problem.

Anybody got any suggestions? I've been living with this for a few months, but the novelty is wearing off and it's just a bit of a nuisance.

Anybody suggest a fix?

(Edit - And yes, I have tried switching it off and on again).

Edited by Flyby PC

Are we talking Windows 7 and an Ethernet Connection here?

No. XP and a wired connection. Shouldn't be happening.dntknw.gif

Reset your router, with a clip and configure it again.

No it's not normal as far as I know.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see you've already reset.

Hmmm. I've to think.

Edited by Von Paulus

If it was W7 or even Vista I'd say it could happen. But with XP?!

Have you tried to use a fix/manual IP address in your PC, instead using the IP given by the router?

I suppose you've the DHCP enabled in your router, right?

When I press repair the connection, it tries to reset the IP address but fails. I haven't tried the Routers IP. I'll investigate.

DHCP? Don't know what it is. And I'm not sure what resetting the router with a clip means. (The meaning of the 'clip' I don't understand).

Thanks guys, I'm glad you keep trying. It's a confusing one. Thankfully restarting does get me online, but it's never more annoying than first thing in the morning. I usually check my email on the way out the door to work and it's a real pain to start up windows XP once, never mind twice.

(I've got Win 7 at work, and I love its one click shut down).

The problem started when I was cut off briefly. I pay my internet & phone through a third party, and the quarterly BT line rental was overlooked. Phone company says they sent me reminders, but I didn't get them. First thing I knew was my ISP trying to reset my internet but telling me the line was cut. (Thanks BT, you're real pros, and only 25 minutes to answer your customer service line).

Anyway, that's when the glitch started.

You can try to set a static IP for your computer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4393725_static-ip-address-win-xp.html

I can help you giving you the right values. But I need to know what is your current IP and what are your ISP DNS server values.

To determine your IP and Router Gateway IP: http://www.home-network-help.com/check-ip.html

I need to know the values of IP, subnet and gateway.

For the DNS it's more tricky. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-find-out-what-my-dns-servers-address-is/#windowsxp

This command ipconfig /all will give you the value of the DNS servers

I'll give that a go later...

Meantime, when it did it again this morning, just seconds ago, I checked my control device manager, and it had no Network Adapter in the list of devices. Now I've restarted, it's there again. Why might that be happening? Oddly, when I run Add new hardware, whole system hung up....

Hmm..well, that is obviously the root of the problem.

Is it an onboard Network adaptor?..or a third party one?...It may be a *ucked adaptor..in which case, buy a PCI one, and disable the onboard one in the BIOS

Hmm..well, that is obviously the root of the problem.

Is it an onboard Network adaptor?..or a third party one?...It may be a *ucked adaptor..in which case, buy a PCI one, and disable the onboard one in the BIOS

UK is right. That's the problem.

And do exactly like UK as suggested. Only if it's not onboard and you have a PCI Network adaptor, before buying a new one, change it to another slot.

But I bet it's onboard, if it's not a too old computer.

Thanks guys, big time. I'll give it a go with an external adaptor , first chance I get to get to a shop....

If it's by cable, please don't use any external adapter. You've to buy an internal PCI network card.

This isn't like wireless. I know there exists, but the speed and the resources....