Sign in to follow this  
SirMike1983

Recommend Some Pedals for OFF

Mike,

This is taken from the FAQ on the main site. Read through it carefully and apply whichever fixes apply to your specific condition.

Q8. My rudder pedals seem to be reversed? -OR- How do I configure my CH Pro rudder pedals to run in OFF? -OR- I get odd changes in controls in flight, and I have rudder pedals and a twist joystick?

A8. For some reason if you use more than one controller (rudder pedals, joystick with rudder twist or some other combo or your pedals they are reversed in cfs3/OFF please read through this answer for tips:

If rudder is reversed:

You need to change the following entries in your CFS3.XCA file located in

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_LOGON_NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

(where C: is the drive letter where your XP OS is installed, change if not on C:)

Make a backup first!

In Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft store this in a different place. Search for the file under folder in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_LOGON_NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields)

The folder may be hidden so set your Windows explorer to show hidden files and folders (Open My Computer, Tools menu, Folder View set it there).

In the Mine.xca file:

<Device Type="yourstick"> <GameMode Name="Player">

<Axis ID="X" Action="Set_Yaw" SCALE="-64"Nullzone="3"/>

All you do is make the original entry into a negative number (see example above) and the pedals will work properly.

If you still have problems then try this:

Sometimes the pedal entry in the XCA file will be as "Rudder Axis"- by deleting that entry and then putting in a new Y-axis line (with the negative value in "Scale") that should fix it.

Other issues with rudder pedals causing throttle to change instead, you need to change the throttle assignment in your config settings when in game (press Esc, Controls to get there). Stop the joystick from using throttle Z axis in control panel, controllers, or in game config settings.

(Also if you have pedals and a twist joystick with a twist action for rudder too they will clash. You can also go to controls and find the joystick z-axis rudder assignment and delete that mapping, then save your config as "Mine")

If you still have issues try editing the DEVICES.XCA file in CFS3WW1 Over Flanders Fields folder.

>>>>> ....-OR- you get odd changes in controls in flight, and I have rudder pedals and a twist joystick?

If you have a combination of controllers (Rudder pedals, twist Joystick etc) you may get clashes on various axis of control.

Toe brakes working the elevator/ailerons etc (can happen with for example Saitek X52 and Rudder pedals and twist joystick)

So go to your "Mine.xca" file via My Computer, C drive (default anyway) browse to /Documents & Settings/<your name>/application data/microsoft/CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields (XP)

or C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields (VISTA)

Open it with notepad and under the rudder pedal section down the bottom delete the following.

<Axis ID="X" Action="Set_Bank" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>

<Axis ID="Y" Action="Set_Pitch" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>

If like me you also have a twist stick and your rudder is still working on that at the same time then delete the following in the joystck section of the same file.

<Axis ID="Rudder" Action="Set_Yaw" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>

Save the file, (change file type to *.* first) then save as Mine.xca (i.e. NOT Mine.xca.txt).

If you still have problems with clashes etc here's some advice from Fortiesboy in our forum:

Note this is from our forum in 2009. Slightly edited here to help readability. Thanks to Fortiesboy for the original post

>>>>>> That didn't help, but you are using two controllers to fly OFF (example here X52 and CH pedals) then :

Press pause in flight, and press Esc key, finally get to Controls.

Under Configuration, you should select Mine.

OFF ( unlike CFS3 itself) does not , and cannot, use any other configuration, so you must only use the Mine one.

You say your pedals show up as the main controller. This is OK. The Controls have to pick one of your controllers and it happens to show the pedals as the main one.

Under Joystick type, you should find a button next to the pedals controller which if you click it will then select and show the X52

Now, staying with the pedals you will see the list of functions, usually the first is the aileron axis .yes?

If that has X or anything under the Control column, then select it and delete it using the Delete Assignment tab at the bottom.

Do the same for all other Axes- elevator, throttle EXCEPT the Rudder Axis. This you should select and then use Add Assignment to add the pedals! -( You normally are asked to move the pedals to assign it )

Now go back to Joystick type and select the X52.

Look at the Axes in that and assign the aileron and elevator and throttle axis to your X52.

Look at the rudder Axis and make sure that is blank, if necessary use the Delete Assignment button at the bottom.

Now at bottom right there is a Save Config As tab. Use that to Save your file . YOU MUST save it as "Mine" as before, without the quotes. (file is saved as Mine.xca)

Now you should be OK.

In essence what you have done is allocate things to the appropriate controller, Ailerons, elevator and throttle to the X52 - with no rudder instruction, and

Rudder to your pedals- with no aileron, elevator or throttle instruction.

Before, these may have been duplicated and confused the sim.

The CH Pedals are associated with Mine, and FF is associated with my X52 Saiteck FCSystem. I then select FF and X52.

Still not sure? See forum post here

Cheers,

Parky

• Like 1

Wow, never thought it would be that involved. I sometimes forget to check the OFF site itself, as I'm used to the forum more than anything else.

I'll give that all a shot tonight.

Thanks

Tried all of that and no luck-- still am having weird control issues with the pedals and the stick still has interfering Z axis rudder. This is ridiculously frustrating.

Edit: I THINK I have it. Apparently CFS 3 doesn't like it when both the pedals and the stick are connected through the same USB port (via the USB hub). CFS apparently thought they were a single controller, even after breaking them out into separate devices in the notepad file. So I think I've got it, though it took a fair bit of screwing around with it.

Edited by SirMike1983

These CH pedals have made a nice addition to the game for me. I crashed once the first night I had them, but other than that I've had pretty decent success with them. They're a bit different feel and I like the added dimension they add. In particular I like how simple these are-- just had to mess with the USB connection and the control assignments. I'm glad I got them.