Sign in to follow this  
Grinseed

Newbie needs help loading terrains

I've downloaded the game online from Thirdwire, this week and had a few flights and fights. The game works well.

I tried to load the updated Verdun terrain and the Flanders terrain and hit a wall.

The Flanders terrain folder appears in my Terrain folder but not in the game menu.

The Verdun (and Cambrai) terrain appear as a 'Security Catalogue' in my Terrain folder and I am unable to access the catalogue to copy the updated Verdun files to it.

Did I miss something?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers Grinseed

Thanks for the swift reply cadeteBRA. Despite your help I am still in the same predicament.

I went throught the entire download process again with Flanders, unzipping the zips and 1. Put the Flanders folder in your Terrain Folder

2. Select in Menu

3. Fly

The Flanders folder again sits in the Terrain Folder, but does not appear in the menu ingame.

The extractor utility only gives error messages when I try to load the verdun catalogue (error calling external object function readbytes) Is there a readme for this thing?

I am a keen WW1 flight sim player and would like to add First Eagles to my collection. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Grinseed

I've done my best with the extractor, I've down loaded it again and reloaded it twice, but I'm stumped. It will allow me to access other cat folders but when I try to open Cambrai or Verdun I get the R0035 Error Message: error calling external etc.

If I made an error of some sort on the way I just cant see it.

Just to make it clear, I'm no newbie to flight sims, just to FE. I have almost every other WW1 flight sim and I have mastered various terrain editing programs for them. All I've read so far about mods for FE looks pretty simple and straightforward, but I just cant get past this initial problem.

The few FE missions I have flown have been great, but I have a preference for better terrain where possible, it will grate on me while flying that I could be flying over those improved landscapes but for getting the extractor to function.

Again any advice or assistance appreciated.

Mayday! Grinseed

Did you download First Eagles or First Eagles 2? Makes a big difference in how files are handled and which CAT extractor to use.

FC

Hi FC, I downloaded First Eagles 2 a day or so ago. Apparently it includes the most recent update, Jun 2010 and I assume July 2010 as I'm informed when I use those upgrades.

My thanks to cadeteBRA and FC, however I decided to start with basics and have now downloaded FEG as well. No problems with the extractor or Flanders with FEG. I will follow the path all you older FE pilots have trod.

Cheers Grinseed