Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Flanderland"

Great site Olham, Thanks for the heads up. I am always interested in then and now photographs and am always in my awe to see and admire how nature has once again taken back what was a ravished and battered landscape no less than a century before and the turmoil that these poor individuals had to endure in the Great War.

Just went through the pictures on the 6 pages about Beselaere.

http://www.flanderland.de/locations-orte/beselare/10/

When I see the grade of destruction there - especially in the aerial photos of the village - it can strangle me.

I looked at the pictures of today, and wondered, how close it still must be for the people who live in such

WW1 fighting areas. When you look at the old and new pictures, it doesn't seem so long ago.

BREMEN REDOUBT - ZONNEBEKE

"In the year 1984 at the Brickworks, Zonnebeke, Flandersthere was discovered an original WW1 underground bunker.

Thought to be Australian, the bunker could accommodate up to 120 menin three tiers of bunks plus an officers quarters.

These photos were taken shortly after the bunker was opened to the public.

Sadly it has now completely collapsed and is no more."

http://www.flanderland.de/locations-orte/bremen-redoubt-%28zonnebeke%29/

Just wondered: RAF_Louvert or Hasse Wind may have presented this site before?

If so, I'm sorry - didn't want to adorn myself with borrowed plumes.

Anyway, the site is well worth to be presented again.

Interesting post I could spend hours there. If you click on the link that says birdcage it says that there are 3 unexploded mines still there. Just imagine if one of those things went off!

DonL, there are still tons of unexploded granades in Flanders.

Hey, are you flying OFF, by the way?

Hello Olham, did you check the birdcage link? If I understood correctly these are the mines where they tunneled under the front lines and and buried tons of explosives to blow up huge gaps in the line. I know it would be difficult to defuse this but I cannot imagine that they would just leave this in place. Yes I play OFF in single player mode. By the way I enjoy your posts a lot. You have an ability to find some very interesting websites.

Thanks, DonL.

I asked if you fly OFF, cause then I will add you to our OFF Forum Pilots maps.

I see, your town and country is already under your name.

No, didn't check the birdcage. Will do now.

Edit/PS: yes, indeed - they are still in the ground there, it says.

If you click my link in the first post, you see a map showing the craters of such mines

directly on the German line near Wytschaete, which was drawn back two days later after that attack.

Those mines must have blown huge craters, and probably burried hundreds of men alive.

Edited by Olham