Sign in to follow this  
nbryant

Direct X

Ok you wizards. I did a clean install of OFF. Start the game but can not modify the configuration as it tells me it can't detect DirectX 8.1 and to install it. Well I have Direct X 11 running. Any ideas?

Install the latest version of DirectX 9.0c...it doesn't conflict with DirectX 11 and will be detected by CFS3/OFF as the appropriate DirectX needed. DirectX 10 and 11 don't have legacy code from what I understand (ie older games won't be able to use them).

FC

Did what FC recommended, installed 9.0c. OFF still locks up looking for 8.1. Not sure if it means anything but CFS runs fine. So if anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

Did what FC recommended, installed 9.0c. OFF still locks up looking for 8.1. Not sure if it means anything but CFS runs fine. So if anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

Did you install the latest 9.0c redistributable or just a DX 9.0c from Softpedia or the like? The redistributable was wriiten by MS to specifically "plug" all the holes Dx10/.1 and 11 had and the latest 9.0c services Dx all the way back to v7. The latest one, I believe, is dated June/2010.

You may have to due a full uninstall/reinstall of OFF because I'm not sure if the Dx libraries will link after the fact or not. I've never tried. With all the bruhaha about Dx10/11, I've just always installed the latest redistributable before installing any program that required legacy Dx.

Just some thoughts and my 5 cents worth.

plug_nickel

Thanks. yeah, did the redistributable dated 6/10 from the MS site. I had just completed a uninstall/reinstall of OFF because I couldn't correct this. Guess I could do it again but not sure at this point if it would actually make a difference. I know OFF functions independently of CFS other then the disc verification (I think) but as I mentioned CFS works great with my current configuration. I didn't have an issue with DirectX until I completed the first reinstall (I have done it twice) due to another issue.

Thanks. yeah, did the redistributable dated 6/10 from the MS site. I had just completed a uninstall/reinstall of OFF because I couldn't correct this. Guess I could do it again but not sure at this point if it would actually make a difference. I know OFF functions independently of CFS other then the disc verification (I think) but as I mentioned CFS works great with my current configuration. I didn't have an issue with DirectX until I completed the first reinstall (I have done it twice) due to another issue.

OUCH....Been there before and since I like dealing with pc's, I'll be going there again as "things" get more complicated. CFS3.1a updated requires Dx8. I believe OFF uses more of the features that later Dx versions offer.

Just to let you know, I'm running W7 ULT_64 with Dx9.0c redist and Dx11 and have no issues what so ever with OFF/HiTR. Since OFF does pull some data from CFS3.1(a), it might be that the necessary .dll/.sys/.mui files aren't there for OFF to use. The DVD version of CFS3 had Dx8.1 on it, maybe even Dx9.0, since it was offered much later than the 2 disc setup. Dx9.0c services legacy 8.1 so that won't be an issue going forward. Since I don't have the DVD, this is just a reasoned guess on my part. You might be better to do a full, complete wipe of CFS3 and OFF and start over from scratch. Use the FAQ before proceeding with that. If it's not done correctly, you're in for some head scratching surprises. Before you do, run dxdiag and confirm drivers and support.

plug_nickel

To ensure that the Dx9.0c redis installed correctly, go to C > Windows > System32 and scroll down to "d" listings. I thought the earliest version serviced was Dx7 legacy but it doesn't. Dx9.0c installed links will start with "d3d8thk.dll" and will follow in order to "d3d11.dll". This last file is the version that dxdiag references.

plug_nickel

Appears all of those dll's are in place. Now, after 4 reinstalls of OFF and two of CFS I have seemingly gotten past the DirectX error. Now when I try to run a mission it tells me I need to set up the configuration. When I select to do that in workshop I get nothing. The usual config window won't open.

Appears all of those dll's are in place. Now, after 4 reinstalls of OFF and two of CFS I have seemingly gotten past the DirectX error. Now when I try to run a mission it tells me I need to set up the configuration. When I select to do that in workshop I get nothing. The usual config window won't open.

There are three areas to configure. The first is the CFS3Config setup. The second is the Pilot Dossier and the third is in Workshop. Do you have a pilot setup?

plug_nickel

Yeah A, ran CFS to ensure all was good there. Created a pilot in OFF then tried to config in workshop. Click on it an nothing happens.

Appreciate your feedback. It has to be something simple I have missed, just can't figure it out and usually don't have issues of this type that I can't overcome. This one has me confused though.

Yeah A, ran CFS to ensure all was good there. Created a pilot in OFF then tried to config in workshop. Click on it an nothing happens.

Appreciate your feedback. It has to be something simple I have missed, just can't figure it out and usually don't have issues of this type that I can't overcome. This one has me confused though.

Stupid questions on my part, but did you install the patches for BHaH and have you activated the pilot you're going to use?

plug_nickel

Edited by almccoyjr

Not a stupid question. Yeah, installed OFF, then 1.32 super and mini patch, followed by HITR, HITR 1.46, then HITR 1.47. Used this same sequence before without issue. I will figure this out........... going through OFF withdrawals!

Follow up. After much frustration I decided to do another reinstall. I went into the contol panel and deleted the game to include all files and saved games. This time though I scoured my drives for any remnants of the game and found that the game folder was not empty. After completely deleting it and ensuring the registry was clean I reinstalled the game and BAM! It works....... but with a surprising twist. All of this began with me having modified my viewui file to dim the labels and screwing with the size of the TAC. After all of these deletes and reinstalls on both OFF and CFS when I enter the field to fly the modified viewui file is still being pulled from somewhere as I have the same oversized TAC.

So now the hunt is on to find where this is.

I do UC, thanks. Problem is I am running 1920x1200 and it takes up about 1/3 of the screen on a 23" monitor