Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

Steel Tiger/Easter offensive Sf2 June 2010 problem

Hi Guys,

I know everyone is probably taken up with the EXP2 bugs, however.

While i'm waiting for the TOD files bug to be sorted on EXP2 I decided to fly a campaign in SF2V in South Vietnam, Steel Tiger or Easter Offensive. I noticed I wasn't getting assigned any CAS mission. I looked at the campaign file for ages tweaking the strategic nodes and ground object entries. Then I looked at the terrain files double checking my target entries against the campaign files.

Then I loaded a seperate installation of SF2V but the Feb 2010 release. CAS mission worked perfectly. I updated it to June 2010, no CAS missions.

The strange thing is I have SF2 and SF2E/NF4, CAS missions in campaign work fine. This problem is only in SF2V and the Steel Tiger/ Easter Offemsive Campaigns.

I'm using window 7 and i'm letting the Feb 2010 version use the same user game folder as June 2010. Have the parameters for SF2V beem changed with the June 2010 release?

I'd ask TK directly but i'm sure they are swamped with EXP2 bugs.

Any Ideas because i'm stumped :blink: .

Boostjunky,

I'll take a look at this. I haven't noticed anything, but I haven't been playing a whole lot either. :biggrin:

Thanks Malibu43,

I can confirm there is no fault within the SF2 expansion relaeased here, neither with the Steel tiger or eastern offensive campaigns. With SF2V Feb 2010 it works perfectly, however in June 2010 CAS missions just dont happen, the ground units are there, they are even on the map in game/flight. They just dont do anything therfore there is nothing to provide CAS for if you get what I mean.

I had a free day today and tried every variable I could thing of within the South Vietnam terrain and the campaign files, but no luck. Like I said installed a seperate Feb 2010 version of SF2V and it worked perfectly. Very strange.

Its nothing to do with a merged install either.

Thanks for the reply Malibu43 :good:

After some quick testing, it looks like the game does not like the strategic nodes I had in there. I copied the strategic nodes from the stock Rolling Thunder campaign and placed them in Easter Offensive and changed the location of some of the ground units to match those nodes. When I started the campaign the ground war was working. So I need to mess around with the nodes a little and see what I need to change. I set the nodes up really weird to get a "Static" ground war, so weird in fact, it never really made sense why it worked. I'll probably have to change that up now.

The good thing is that since the Steel Tiger and Easter Offensive campaigns are separate from the stock 3 (originally I was incorporating the ground war into the stock campaign), we don't really need the static frontline any more. I can set the campaigns up so they play out somewhat fictitiously where the NVA can overtack S. Vietnam if the player doesn't do a good job, and it won't impact the historical RT, LBI, and LBII campaigns.

This may take a while though...

OK. That didn't take nearly as long as I thought. It's working again. I looked more closely at the nodes for RollingThunder and finally understood how the nodes actually work. I don't know how I got away without knowing that before!

It will take some time to adjust the supply levels so Hanoi/Saigon aren't captured too quickly and the campaign doesn't end. My time to sit and play through an entire campaign is pretty much non-existent, though.

Boostjunky (or anyone else that wants to test this) - can you try this new campaign_data.ini file (delete the .txt suffix after you download it)? Back up your existing EasterOffensive_data.ini first.

EasterOffensive_DATA.INI.txt

If you can play through a campaign and take note of how often enemy and friendly ground offensives take place and just let me know how the campaign plays out that would be helpful. Once I know I have the right fix, I'll make the same changes to Steel Tiger and release an update.

Thanks for pointing this issue out!

-Gregg

Edited by malibu43

Many Thanks Gregg, is the problem because the nodes dont end up at Hanoi/Saigon?

I download that data file and see how its working.:good:

Many Thanks Gregg, is the problem because the nodes dont end up at Hanoi/Saigon?

I download that data file and see how its working.:good:

Yeah, I think that was the issue. It's always supposed to have worked that way, but for some reason I was able to get it to work without connecting to Hanoi and Saigon with the previous patches. Some sort of lucky work around that must have exploited a bug.

But yeah, I got them working again by connecting all the nodes to Hanoi and Saigon (directly or indirectly).

It seems to be working fine now mate, thanks for the quick response and fix. :good:

Here are the updated files for Steel Tiger and Easter Offensive. I've added additional nodes to hopefully slow the NVA advance down the country. I've also made it so the US can't go on offensive. The result is that the US won't ever "accidentally" capture Hanoi or go north of the DMZ. The flip side of that is that if the NVA captures any S. Vietnamese nodes, it impossible to get them back. This should really put pressure on the player to complete CAS missions successfully!

Please try these and let me know how they play out! The more people that try them, the better!

EasterOffensive_DATA.INI.txt

SteelTiger_DATA.INI.txt

Edited by malibu43

Here are the updated files for Steel Tiger and Easter Offensive. I've added additional nodes to hopefully slow the NVA advance down the country. I've also made it so the US can't go on offensive. The result is that the US won't ever "accidentally" capture Hanoi or go north of the DMZ. The flip side of that is that if the NVA captures any S. Vietnamese nodes, it impossible to get them back. This should really put pressure on the player to complete CAS missions successfully!

Please try these and let me know how they play out! The more people that try them, the better!

Great to see that the Steel Tiger campaign still gets some developer love :) Great support, Malibu!