Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

Dramatic fps drop with SF2V Air&Ground War Expansion Pack

After my notebook's graphics chip "melted down" 3 mths ago and I had my chip resoldered/replaced, I encountered a hefty stuttering in SF2V that I didn't experience before...

What I saw yesterday - and what might be quite obvious - is that when I played SF2V (plain vanilla) as admin I was getting some 33fps or even better. When switching back to myself as user with the full load of the Air&Ground War XP, I was back to some 1 to 5fps...

Okay, (even) I do understand that the XP puts a lot more weight on the graphics chip to calculate - I just wanted to share this information with you to get a second opinion, maybe, because - frankly - I'm lost what else I might do to get my old performance back..... (And it sucks to try to play the game at 3fps!)

i had the same problem on my computer with a FPS from 5 to 6 with win XP and SF2merged especially on airfield´s with a lot of groundobjects , i changed my sytem to Win7 32bit now i have FPS from 59 to 65 !!! i did not change anything else only the operating system to win7

so the best thing to do is change to win7 :grin:

Edited by ravenclaw_007

Okay, that's something that I have not yet thought about... Interesting. :blink::good:

Although that would be more kind of a bypass for me - as everything was a-okay before the repair.

I am a bit hesitant, if an investment - money- and time-wise - would really cure my problem... How easy would be a switch like that then? Just run "some 7-software" over my Vista-environment and everything would remain as is except for the underlying windows-surface? Any idea if my MS Flightsimulator will still run under 7?

Then getting 7 as a Christmas-present might be something to think about......

Before switching to WIn 7 make sure that your laptop's graphic chip DOES support DX 10 in HARDWARE, otherwise you might not see much of an improvement!

i had a couple of problems with older software i need for modding but i could solve this problems , i have now real quick loading times compare to Win Xp and terrains that sometimes did not load or hang up by 80% loading load now in no time and run with out any problems at all

and with Win7 ultimate you still have the possibility to install older software that will not work with win 7 under a Windows Virtual PC that uses Win XP professional , so you have two pc :grin:

i use

- Win 7 Ultimate 32Bit

- Gigabyte P55A-UD7 Mainboard

- Intel Core i7 860 CPU with 2,80Ghz

- 4Gb Ram

- 2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 from Gainward (SLI)

i use

- Win 7 Ultimate 32Bit

- Gigabyte P55A-UD7 Mainboard

- Intel Core i7 860 CPU with 2,80Ghz

- 4Gb Ram

- 2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 from Gainward (SLI)

Nice rig! :good: Now OC that Core i7 to 4 GHz!!! :bb:

Edited by SFP1Ace

I have an hp-notebook. ...Notebook: okay, I know, that's not the best of choices for gaming/especially flying sims, but everything ran flawlessly before I had that 43-error, obviously connected to heat damaging the soldering of the graphics chip. AND I'm not sure if 7 would override whatever went wrong since the damage... Maybe a bit costly a try, or?

The chip (btw) IS running DX10 already.

Any hint if FS9 runs under 7 (without shelling out the money for 7 Ultimate)?

I have an hp-notebook. ...Notebook: okay, I know, that's not the best of choices for gaming/especially flying sims, but everything ran flawlessly before I had that 43-error, obviously connected to heat damaging the soldering of the graphics chip. AND I'm not sure if 7 would override whatever went wrong since the damage... Maybe a bit costly a try, or?

The chip (btw) IS running DX10 already.

Any hint if FS9 runs under 7 (without shelling out the money for 7 Ultimate)?

If you are running WinXP then you are not running DX10.

Edit: I missed that you wrote about your "vista" enviroment. My bad =)

Edited by xclusiv8