I would like to recommend this get added to the KB (unless it's already there and I missed it). I've seen a lot of posts here and at other sites lately asking about this...

In Strike Fighters Project 1 and the other “1st Gen” games in the TW series (Wings Over Vietnam, Wings Over Europe, Wings Over Israel), any mods or addons were dropped into their respective folders in the game’s main install directory. That is no longer the case with the “2nd Gen” games (Strike Fighters 2, SF2V, SF2E,  SF2I and SF2NA).

Any mods or addons you download for the 2nd Gen games will most likely include a reference to a “mod” folder somewhere in the readme, where the user is supposed to put the downloaded files. However, there is no folder (nor should one be created) called “Mods”. The following is to help you understand what the “mod folder” is really referring to.

When a 2nd Gen game is first installed, the game needs to be run at least once so that the game can create the “mod folder”. After the first time you run the game, a set of directories will be created in one of two locations, depending on whether you’re running XP or Vista/Win7. Assuming you ran the .exe for Strike Fighters 2, the directories created are as follows:

WinXP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Effects

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents \ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Sounds

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents \ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Decals

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents \ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Pilots

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents \ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Weapons

Vista/Win7

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Effects

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Sounds

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Decals

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Pilots

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Weapons

So, most of the time, the term “Mod(s) Folder” is referring to the “StrikeFighters2” directory in the example above. When you run the game, the game will look here for any files or addons first before pulling files from the main install directory. If you ran Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam, the directory would be “StrikeFighters2 Vietnam”. If you ran Strike Fighters 2: Europe, the directory would be “StrikeFighters2 Europe”. Etc, etc… An addon or mod will usually have Effects, Objects, Campaigns, Terrains (etc..) folders contained within the zip file that are supposed to be dropped into your “Mods Folder”. You would drop those files into the StrikeFighters2 folder (in the example above) and allow to overwrite when asked.

Notice that some folders are not created when the game is run the first time, and you may be required to create those folders first yourself. Prime examples being …\StrikeFighters2\Terrains and …\StrikeFighters2\Campaigns. There are too many to list all of them, but you get the idea. If the readme tells you to drop something into a directory that isn’t already there, make sure you’re looking for the right thing and that it really is missing, and then just create it yourself.

Now, there are some more advanced applications of this, where you can create duplicate game installs and mod folders, or you can even change the location of your mod folder. More advanced stuff is covered here:

http://combatace.com...knowledge-base/

And in this sub-forum, which can easily be missed:

http://combatace.com...knowledge-base/

I recommend becoming familiar with the basic “Mod Folder” concept I went over above before diving into the more advanced stuff.

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1