Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Something I hadn't done in a long time...

...model rockets that is.

My older son is getting to the age to be able to start watching and enjoying model rockets, if not quite old enough to build them properly yet. So, I dug out my old model rockets. Now, realize that I hadn't done any sort of rocket building or flying since 1996. But I used to be seriously into rockets, even had started into LDRS territory. Still collected kits, but like my plastic models, they sit gathering dust because of lack of time. So, it was old nostalgia week as I broke into the storage area to dust off the 'flyables' and get them ready:

Kind of an overcast day, but the winds were relatively mild. However, finding a decent amount of room is still tough to do around here. There are some soccer fields a little further away, but this school field/track was within walking distance. So the wife and the 2 boys went there today.

IMG_1154.JPG

First flight for this one, a nice boost glider. The delay was a little long (my fault), and I thought it was going to prang in, but it popped just in time for the glider to get good air and the engine pod to recover nicely. This model was probably one of the more delicate, but it flew and landed just fine...better than some of the other models did...

IMG_1155.JPG

First flight for this one, a scale replica of the Little Joe II (a rocket used to test the escape system on the Apollo). Again, too long of delay, but the chute popped over the grass with just enough time to slow the impact. Result, the escape tower broke, but cleanly, so was able to repair on site. Now that she's flown...she goes back on display. Those towers are too delicate...

IMG_1156.JPG

Semi scale model of the Patriot in prototype colors...flew fine, but came down on the track instead of the field, breaking a fin. Clean break, fixed at home. Laying on the ground next to it (the white rocket) is what I've come to call 'old reliable'. It's a rocket I got 24 years ago, and it's been a steady flier. Flies straight, has always been recovered, outlasted several parachutes and shock cords...makes a nice demo rocket, even if it's a bit worse for wear.

IMG_1159.JPG

Took a pic a little too early, this is a boost glider based on the NASA A-7 that they were going to use for swing wing testing, except the swing wing used a single pivot (yep, one tip would go forward, the other backward). For this boost glider, it takes off with the wing parallel to the fuselage, then when the engine pod pops, the wing swings to 90 degrees to the wind and the aircraft glides down...in theory. Unfortunately, this one took the top part of the launch rod with it, causing a death spiral. Did less damage than I thought it would (considering it came down in the parking lot)...the nose took most of the impact. The nice thing is, it's a standard diameter body tube, and except for the A-7 nose, the rest of the model is standard parts I can make out of stuff from a hardware store. Worse case, I can keep the nose and rebuild the whole thing with brand new parts...

IMG_1160.JPG

SR-71 model...not a boost glider (too bad). Nice model, and flew very well considering it's weight. High winds caused it to drift farther than I wanted, but we were able to recover it with no damage.

IMG_1161.JPG

First flight...a ready to fly X-15. Flew nice, but chute didn't open completely, coming down a little hard. The chute issue plagued most of the flights today, even though I had dusted them the night before. I think they needed more powder to facilitate them opening better...most of them sat a LONG time and that can be tough on mylar when it's crunched up in a tube...

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

Semi scale Shuttle/ET/SRB combo. Shuttle is a glider that separates. Flew okay but popped later than expected...over the parking lot, not the field. Shuttle came down okay, but ET/SRB came down hard. ET/SRB will need extensive repair/repaint. And since most of the stuff (tubes, nose cones, etc) are unique, it means once it's all repaired and repainted, she'll be a display only bird...but she did at least fly a few times.

Not pictured but brought/flown:

Estes Scout - Flew straight, high on a C6-5...and promptly disappeared after the ejection charge. Got it from a friend of mine who was cleaning out the closet. Painted a dark grey...probably not the best color to fly on a day like today. Presumed intact...just missing.

Mini-Patriot - Semi scale Patriot (even smaller) using 1/2A engine. First flight of the day to test winds. Flew great, no issues on recovery.

Bomarc (not flown) - Rebuilt version of kit, converted to "D" power. Works great as Astrocam lofter - not flown due to increasing winds

Defender (not flown) - 2 stage "D" power bird, also a Astrocam lofter - not flown due to increasing winds

Rockets are cheaper to build and fly than RC, but it still sucks when you break em. I still have a lot of kits, including a few high power ones, and have built and flown my 1/5 scale Patriot (yes, I have 3 different sized Patriot missiles). That one is a lot of fun...a 4 "D" power cluster that roars off of the pad...obviously I didn't fly it today.

Anyone else still have the rocketry bug?

FC

• Like 1

Great fun ..... :good: :good: , what sort of rocket (fuel) does it use ?

Houdoe,

Derk

Nice collection of rockets model!

Have considered this hobby many times but here is somewhat seen as an hostile activity by most of the people (they make the ralation: Rocket=Weapon). So an open and free countryside space is not enough to play with them.

Great fun ..... :good: :good: , what sort of rocket (fuel) does it use ?

It's a solid rocket fuel based on black powder.

Here's a primer on rocket engines:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/rockets/info/rockets_enginefacts.htm

Basically, the engines are completely self contained and pre-packaged. You don't do anything except put them in the rocket and use them, then dispose of them...no hazardous mixing of chemicals or complicated ignition procedures.

Estes rockets were the rocket company for small rockets back in the day...

Unfortunately, model rocketry is kind of a dying hobby like a lot of hobbies that require time, patience and skill. It simply takes too long and too much effort to build nice models. The only advantage is that rocketry is still very cheap. Once your skills have progressed sufficiently, pretty much the only specialized products you need are the nose cones, body tubes, and engines (and if have experience with lathing...you can even make your own nose cones). Everything else can be built or constructed from cheap hardware store materials...even launch systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_rocket

FC

Thanks FC, maybe I'll try it out someday, don't know if the fuel is obtainable in this overregulated country......:blink:

Houdoe,

Derk

Great pics!. Thats such a familiar sight to me, the box by the launcher, and 5 or 6 rockets waiting their turn. I have two boys and Ill never forget the look on their faces first time one went up. For one day, it was better than anything on xbox!

brings back many memories of launching stuff from the town football field back a quarter-century ago...got attention from the police then for "fireworks" - we'd probably have the FBI down on us today!

I would love to be able to get my daughter into model rocketry....so much fun and like you said, high on the "Bang for your buck" meter.

I had a huge AIM-54 Phoenix replica that I would take down to a place called 60 Acres. Literally 60 acres of soccer fields.....and was just about the only place around to launch the big D engines and have enough room to recover. My buddy and I would go down there with full kits and between the AIM-54 and his Mean Machine probably do 20 launchings a day.

More flying in the last couple of months.

Picture of some of the smaller rockets...includes a Satellite Interceptor (white) and a smaller version of the same rocket (red).

IMG_2218-1024.jpg

Launch of the Satellite Interceptor:

IMG_2580-1024.jpg

And at another launch, an upscale version of the Satellite Interceptor (over a meter long - custom built):

SIULaunch1.jpg

SIULaunch3.jpg

Scratch built version of AGM-69A SRAM:

SRAMLaunch1.jpg

SpaceShipOne:

SS1Launch1.jpg

Interceptor (classic 60's 'space fighter' design):

InterceptorLaunch.jpg

More fun to be had...soon the Saturns and my large Patriot cluster will fly again...

FC

Anyone guess what the one in the middle is?

IMG_2477.JPG

FC

FC::

Anyone guess what the one in the middle is?

You gonna cluster thirty 1/4 A3-4T in that? Nice :drinks:

Er...no! They wouldn't fit anyway...I'd have to use 1/8A MMX engines.

Just one big D or E. First flight is expected to be this weekend on a D12-3.

FC

Our club had a launch on Saturday morning...but we moved the hours to 0730-1130 because it's so friggin hot by mid day. I basically jumpseated in that morning at 0530, prepped rockets, packed the car, and made it out about 0800 ourselves.

On to pics and video!

First, pictures of the day's fleet (upright Saturn V is a plastic model, not miine, but same scale as N-1):

Fleet%252520Pic.JPG

Fleet%252520Pic%2525202.JPG

Saturn%252520V%252520and%252520N-1.jpg

Alpha III 2 stager - C6-0/C6-7 - Flew this combination in the same configuration as the last club launch. But this time, it was viciously unstable:

Alpha%252520III%252520launch.jpg

Alpha%252520III%252520turn%2525201.jpg

Alpha%252520III%252520turn%252520x.jpg

I think the reason it was unstable this time was due to me rotating the lower stage 60 degrees to the upper stage. I'll have to do another swing test...

AGM-69A SRAM - C6-3 - Not changed from last time, but because the winds were so much less, the rocket flew much nicer, with only a slight spin:

SRAM%252520Close%252520Up.jpg

SRAM%252520Launch.jpg

SRAM%252520Climb.jpg

Mini Saturn V - 1/2A3-4T - Couldn't get a good pic of the rocket on the pad because the camera kept focusing on the grass:

Mini%252520Saturn%2525205%252520recovery.jpg

But the flight was stable, smooth with a good recovery. Will be a favorite of smaller fields in the future...

Estes SR-71 - C6-3 - Nice, straight flight up to the ejection charge, where the shock cord broke. But the rocket was recovered fine because the nose didn't weigh enough to open the chute fully, and the body tumble recovered. No damage:

SR71%252520liftoff.jpg

SR71%252520climbout.jpg

N-1 - D12-3 - I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

N-1%252520Launch.jpg

N-1%252520Climb.jpg

N-1%252520Composite.jpg

The third picture is a composite of the flight showing the flight path. Luckily, the rocket fell flat, with little damage. Will need minor repair. But will probably not fly again. We think it's a 'drag stable' rocket like a saucer, but doesn't have enough flat surface. The other option is adding significantly more weight to the nose...but the rocket is already pretty heavy as it is.

Cosmic Cobra - C6-5 - Nice flight...good airborne video:

Cosmic%252520Cobra%252520liftoff.jpg

Patriot Pro - 4xD12-5 - Awesome flight! Of course, it decides to parachute down on the only gravel road near the field. Minor damage to one fin:

Patriot%252520Pro%252520liftoff.jpg

Patriot%252520Pro%252520climb.jpg

Satellite Interceptor and Interceptor - C6-5 for both - Straight, nice, textbook flights with no damage...even caught the Interceptor while it parachuted down:

Satellite%252520Interceptor.jpg

Interceptor.jpg

Overall, a good day. 10 rockets launched, all recovered (plus one...Art brought my Patriot that I left on the field from the last club launch). 6 rockets had no damage, 4 with trivial to little damage. Only 2 rockets didn't fly as expected...though I was surprised by both as they had passed the swing test. Plus, I'm figuring out those keychain cams....

Time for repairs, building more rockets, and getting those boost gliders airborne...

FC

Sounds like a fun day out with Dad. Congrats to you and your kids on the successful launches.

-Jeff