Sign in to follow this  
Zurawski

Cockpit Texturing Q...

I'e got a little pet project going and just ran into a small snag...

I'm trying to utilize alpha-channeled .tga for various displays. They show just fine with .bmp but when I change them to .tga, they disapear...

Am I a dunce or can function-called displays (RWR etc..) only use .bmp?

If any one can give affirmation or correction to this, I would be very appreciative...

i had a similar problem on my RF-4E pit´s and i had to use the .bmp textures the .tga did not work , or i made a mistake by generating the .tga´s that could be possible to

Edited by ravenclaw_007

Zur,

I tried something similar and ran into the same issue. I think only bmps will work...I was trying to make a 'fused' display but couldn't get it to work.

FC

Thanks guys...

Sadly this is what I feared the answer would be. Thankfully I can accomplish simular results via clever 3D design, but using .tga would have been a far easier solution.

"Easier" is a forbidden word in the world of TW modding... :grin:

I'e got a little pet project going and just ran into a small snag...

I'm trying to utilize alpha-channeled .tga for various displays. They show just fine with .bmp but when I change them to .tga, they disapear...

Am I a dunce or can function-called displays (RWR etc..) only use .bmp?

If any one can give affirmation or correction to this, I would be very appreciative...

Zur, looong time ago I started Viggen pit and I had no problem using second mesh in front of the radar output one, tga with alpha channel used to simulate dirt and scratches of said display, worked back then, mind you it was late 2006 with series one and on Dx9 with 2006 max exporter

Stary,

That still works...I did something similar for the F-15C cockpit, making a 'glass coating' with small horizontal lines to simulate an older CRT display.

What Zur was trying to do is have 'translucent' displays like a VR cockpit...the problem is that as far as I can tell, the TW engine doesn't allow for that sort of thing...whenever the display is 'on', it's opaque. I wanted to do something similar to make a 'fused' display...having the moving map, radar, and RWR all in one display, so you'd have instant SA...but it didn't work.

FC

Harold, I misunderstood the concept, I think yes, transparency for any kind of avionics output is still thing of the future, maybe with Tomcat sim, few planes could have use of radar imagery displayed on HUD for example