Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Sony To Prosecute

Sony have announced that they plan to prosecute everyone who's hacked a PS3.

For their next project they're going to p*ss in the ocean to warm it up. :rofl:

Sony have announced that they plan to prosecute everyone who's hacked a PS3.

For their next project they're going to p*ss in the ocean to warm it up. :rofl:

:rofl:

yes, you BUY with your OWN money the console and YOU are prosecuted?

media.php?q=aniascii_lollermanche4vz.gif

What have people hacked/modded them to do?

Edited by MAKO69

Oh, they've used a recent custom firmware to run some homebrew stuff and create HDD-only backups of games. Early this year the master key for signing PS3 software got hacked.

Then Sony delivered a deep rootkit with their latest official firmware that reports anyone using the unauthorized stuff. People got "you've been a bad boy" emails after logging into PSN.

yes, you BUY with your OWN money the console and YOU are prosecuted?

Technically, you don't 'own' the firmware that is on the PS3...you lease it under a EULA...one of the stipulations basically says you won't alter it. If you do, you technically can be prosecuted.

Now, having said that, realistically, Sony can't prosecute everyone.

The concern comes back to DRM...if you use custom firmware, it is now possible to make unauthorized copies of the game and/or cheat in online games, both of which suck.

Please, don't give me any arguments against DRM that start with the words "You can't stop folks from copying/pirating". No s**t Sherlock, if you think companies actually believe that, you haven't been around long enough to understand why and how the revenue stream works.

The idea of DRM is not prevention, just deterrence. Specifically, to prevent 'Day-Zero' piracy. The majority of the money made in sales of games comes within the first month. If you can get past that, you've made most of the money you are going to make. That's why Sony is taking such a hard line on the PS3 firmware crack. Unlike PSPs, where you can use custom firmware to run and make ISOs of your favorite UMDs but process is time consuming and complex to make and share, vs the firmware crack on the PS3. In addition, by allowing cheats, it ruins the online experience for others not doing so (which is why I got out of the PC online world...cheaters suck).

Hey, you can do what you want to your console, that's fine by me...right up to the point where you attempt to ruin my online experience by cheating with hacks. Then it's screw you and the PS3 you rode in on...can and ban.

FC

Hey, you can do what you want to your console, that's fine by me...right up to the point where you attempt to ruin my online experience by cheating with hacks. Then it's screw you and the PS3 you rode in on...can and ban.

FC

eh, i didn't knew that ...but just make a wise solution like M$ , ban every modified console and that's fine but it maybe not work good as it seems because the PS3 hacking was in a pen drive, so when you pull it from the console it restores to what it was before