Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: Crazy Busy, But Still Here

Greetings All,

Just thought I'd post a quick note to let you know I have not fallen off the face of the earth or gone west, only that RL is crazy at the moment. I drop in here about once a day when I have internet access and even got a chance to share a screenshot earlier this AM. My work schedule will settle down a bit in a few more weeks, (I hope), so I should be able to start enjoying you folks and OFF again by then. Right now I'm lucky to fly one mission a week.

Also, for those who might frequent The Aerodrome, I no longer visit there since they banned Alex Revell for life when he attempted to defend another member of the forum who had been permanently banned for no good reason what so ever. If you don't know, Alex is the author of "High in the Empty Blue" and other outstanding WWI aviation books, and over the years has been a major contributor to the study of Great War aviation history. The only other forum I now visit is the Great War Forums, but of course I have little time to be there either.

Here's hoping to be in the mess with you all far more often again, and soon. Fly with honour, and stay thirsty my friends.

:drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

Also, for those who might frequent The Aerodrome, I no longer visit there since they banned Alex Revell for life when he attempted to defend another member of the forum who had been permanently banned for no good reason what so ever. If you don't know, Alex is the author of "High in the Empty Blue" and other outstanding WWI aviation books, and over the years has been a major contributor to the study of Great War aviation history.

Blimey, I didn't know that. 'High in the Empty Blue' is a book I've been trying to get (at an affordable price) for years. Saw one on eBay US for $60 dollars a while back but missed it by a whisker.

Gosh. What a woefully short-sighted and heavy-handed decision! They need their heads examined. I shall look at The Aerodrome considerably more circumspectly henceforth.

Glad you're still around, Lou. I wondered if you might have snuck off quietly rather than face the chorus of 'Oh No's that happened last time you tried to leave the cult! :wink:

Edited by Dej

Believe me, if the "other member" who was banned at the Aerodrome "for no good reason whatsoever" is who I think it is, he had it coming; that guy ruined more good threads than a thousand moths. Although, I have seen some ridiculous bannings at that place. Manfred Thiemeyer was banned for "threatening a moderator's children"--that was the Mt. Everest of absurdity.

Of course, you do whatever you like, but avoiding the Aerodrome because of things that don't involve you (and Alex has been great to me but over the years he wasn't pure as the driven snow at the Aerodrome, either) deprives you the chance to interact with and learn directly from heavy-hitting WWI historians such as Peter Kilduff, Norman Franks, Lance Bronnenkant, Alan Toelle, Terry Phillips (although not so much in recent years, because he told me he was tired of Alex Revell's contentious demeanor; maybe he'll be back since Alex is gone), Russ Gannon, Dan-San Abbott, Stephen Skinner, Greg VanWyngarden, who are still there, just to name but a few off the top of my head as fast as I can type. I've seen some at the Great War Forum but not nearly to the degree as regards First World War aviation.

Dej, I am definitely still around Sir. :smile: And that copy of HITEB you mention? I hope it wasn't about two weeks ago and for $50, because that's the one I just received.

Jim, the gentleman that Alex spoke up for was Dave Lee, (aka: bristol scout), who seems a very decent sort and has been nothing but polite and cordial to me, as has Alex. That being said, I do not assume that Alex is "lily white", as in fact none of us are. I did not walk away lightly, and I will indeed miss the greats you mentioned who have resided there for years. But I don't really wish to be part of a forum that turns a blind eye to such blatantly unfair and heavy-handed behaviour on the part of the forum admins. The innocuous post made by Dave was not deserving of a ban, lifetime or otherwise. And why Alex was also banned forever, simply because he asked for consideration of a more democratic method on Dave's behalf, well that one is beyond me.

Lou

I agree, Lou, that's wrong if that's the sole reason for Alex's banning. As far as Bristol Scout, again, he had it coming from long before.

Dej, I am definitely still around Sir. :smile: And that copy of HITEB you mention? I hope it wasn't about two weeks ago and for $50, because that's the one I just received.

Almost certainly the same one, Lou. :lol: Couldn't have gone to a more appreciative buyer and would have been worse if we'd been in a bidding war for it! There but for the grace of GMT, I might say. :grin:

I have the Osprey Elite Aviation Units No. 56 Squadron penned by Alex which I hope is a précis of HITEB. I shall content myself with that, for the mo'.

Osprey books are great--I have ten zillion--but they aren't HITEB. Re: Osprey's No. 56 Squadron, from what Alex said over at the Aerodrome, Osprey (paraphrasing here) butchered his text. Thus, he effectively would have nothing to do with it.

Lou, thanks for waving from the bypassing car!

Do what must be done, and then come back more often, when you can.

I am just starting to read Arthur Gould Lee's "No parachute" in English, after so you and so

many others here mentioned it as one of the first three books to read about the British side.

The form of just showing us his letters and diary entries of those days, is quite intriguing.

I can really imagine, when he said back in 1968, when the book was made, that he didn't

recognise that young lad, who was doing all those risky things back in the Great War.

I can say already, that I like the book.

Edited by Olham

Osprey books are great--I have ten zillion--but they aren't HITEB. Re: Osprey's No. 56 Squadron, from what Alex said over at the Aerodrome, Osprey (paraphrasing here) butchered his text. Thus, he effectively would have nothing to do with it.

Oh Drat! Cheers, Jim! Well, I guess I'm looking at sneaking a hundred quid under the spouse-radar then! :lol: I'll keep looking, got it on search notify anyhow.

Olham, glad you're enjoying 'No Parachute'. It is, for me, one of the most honest recountings of a pilot's life at the front. I accept AGL's word for it that he kept it as per his letters and diary entries but if he took out any sensitive content... well, who would judge him badly for it.

I'm reading 'Winged Victor' at the moment, which is Gordon Atkin's biography of Victor Yeates, the author of 'Winged Victory'... it would appear that 'Winged Victory' is pretty damned honest too, which of course comes as no surprise, despite its label of 'a fictional account'.

Amazing how "spouse radar" knows no geopolitcal borders!

If I see a HITEB somewhere for less than a hundred I'll shoot you a PM.

Amazing how "spouse radar" knows no geopolitcal borders!

If I see a HITEB somewhere for less than a hundred I'll shoot you a PM.

Thank you kindly, Jim. That would definitely be appreciated.

Ah man Dej, sorry about that. Just as Jim, I will watch for another bargain-priced copy for you Sir. Also, I'd be glad to send the copy I have to you for a while if you'd like to read through it. It's a truly amazing history of 56 Squadron. And, when Mr. Revell learned I had purchased it, he sent along a personalized autographed label for me to place on the inside cover.

Olham, glad to learn you are reading "No Parachute", it is a classic. You won't be disappointed.

I've just dispatched a pm to Scott, Aerodrome administrator, re the plight of Alex Revell. Would suggest all those who are interested might do the same. JFM is right, Bristol Scout, along with a few others, had it coming, but the Aerodrome needs Alex far more than he needs the Aerodrome.

Cheers,

shredward

Ah man Dej, sorry about that. Just as Jim, I will watch for another bargain-priced copy for you Sir. Also, I'd be glad to send the copy I have to you for a while if you'd like to read through it.

Cor blimey, Lou and Jim! You're boaf gents and no mistake!

Pretty sure I can acquire a copy from the Inter-library Lending Service, when I've time to be desperate to read it, so dinna fesh yesels. It is on my list of books to own though so I'd appreciate the 'heads up' if ye've time.

Shredward and Jim, being a relative newcomer to The Aerodrome forums I don't really know what Bristol Scout has done to deserve such a ban, and as I've already mentioned he's been nothing but a gentleman to me. I've already sent a personal message to the admins on Alex's behalf. We will have to see if it gets me banned as well. I understand that is what Andrew Smith got for the private message he sent requesting they reconsider Mr. Revell's ban. It seems that even questioning an admin's decision is grounds for a lifetime ban.

Dej, you are a funny bloke. :biggrin:

I can relate Lou. I've been so busy myself I haven't actually flown a new sortie in my RFC campaign for several weeks now, though I browse this forum frequently and contribute when I have something decent to say. I am feeling 'the itch' though, and long to take to the skies once more. However, I must admit I may be procrastinating in recognition that I've become rusty during my time away and am liable to kill my pilot on take off!

"but the Aerodrome needs Alex far more than he needs the Aerodrome"

I agree with that 100%. Alex gets in the thick of it sometimes but I've never seen him be personally nasty or attack people--well, excluding Manfred Thiemeyer, although MT liked to ruffle plenty of feathers himself. And same as you, Lou, he sent me an autographed label for HITEB. Contacted me out of the blue and offered to do it, as well; probably the same for you. It was a thoughtful and kind gesture, not a conceited one, just to be clear for others reading this. (For you Americans who remember, it was like the old Mean Joe Greene Coke commercial when he throws his jersey to the kid.)

As far as BS (musn't touch that pun...) is concerned, I've been ignoring him for quite a while so he's already been "banned" in my world. I'm not surprised he's been officially elbowed, though, although I have no idea the specifics of his case. If he gets reinstated, C'est la vie. But if protesting his ban is the "grounds" for Alex being gone, clearly that's ridiculous. And it seems a ridiculously obvious thing to say now but calling for AR's reinstatement should not be "grounds" for others being banned. I mean, last year I saw a guy call Alex, literally, a "c*nt", and he didn't get banned, IIRC. Surely (hopefully) there has to be more going on than being banned for supporting someone? Perhaps they can make AR's ban temporary. I'll dash off a note to Scott, too.