Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

Ground battles!

When I was a yoot at Camp Borden in the late 60's, there was a Whippet, a Renault, and a MkII in a Memorial Park on the Base. You used to be able to climb up into the Whippet from underneath, which was very cool. I think they are all at the War Museum in Ottawa now. Well worth a visit.

Cheers,

shredward

You can switch the TAC on, pause the sim, and then change targets to "Ground objects" or "Vehicles".

Now you mark a ground target and go through the views with F4, until you get to the view of that target

towards you. That way, you can see your fighters/bombers approaching, when you release "pause".

Will be hard to fly though. But it's very good for paused screenshots.

You can now press "next target" again and again, and so switch through all the views from those

ground objects towards you.

Cheers, Olham :drinks:.

I saw a couple of tanks crossing a bridge once but I've yet to see these battles.

Cavalry? Are you certain they were still being used in 1917?

Yes, but in the west the cavalry units mostly waited behind the lines for the breakthrough to happen so that they could then quickly exploit the success and advance deep behind enemy lines, cutting off their lines of command, just like the tanks of WW2 did. But we all know how well and decisively the breakthroughs in the west happened, with or without tanks. So much for the cavalry in the west. In the east, there were much less men per every kilometer of the front and every sector wasn't fortified extremely heavily, so there was more room for maneuvers and also for cavalry operations. Still, as the fighting in the east ended with the Russian Empire's collapse, the Germans started to dismount their cavalry formations and made most of them into infantry, which was then used in the west in the final operations of the war. But cavalry never completely ceased to exist in any army of WW1. And all of them relied heavily on horses for all transportation work, as the cars and trucks were primitive and unreliable and nobody ever had enough of them compared to the amount of horses. Only in WW2 were some armies (British and American) motorized so completely and effectively that they had no need for horses anymore.

When I was a yoot at Camp Borden in the late 60's,

Cheers,

shredward

Shredward, You brought back a flood of memories when you mentioned Camp Borden. I spent a few years there in the early to mid sixties. Of course I was on the Air Force side but I still wouldn't trade that time for anything else.

Tony

Here is the painting of that famous charge, held at the National War Museum.

post-32273-0-79968400-1301680600.jpg