Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Roland Scourge!

Having reached April 1916 in my sequence of British campaigns, I have just begun to encounter a feindish new German weapon.

The first time I encountered them I payed little attention to the flight of biplanes passing in the opposite direction. After all, I only needed to worry about monoplanes. Then a phantom gunner chewed up one of my wings. I searched for those Eindeckers everywhere - and slowly a suspicion formed!

On my next mission I was on the lookout for them, so at least they didn't take me by surprise. What I wasn't really prepared for, however, was the wide area of sky the gunners can cover when there is a flight of them. Having a certain amount of experience now, I didn't waste time but went straight to panicking - dragging the old BE around in pointless circles whilst making faint whimpering noises. Finally I remembered something about blind spots! By this time, however, the cylinders had begun their all too frequent death rattle, and I had to try to put down at the nearest allied airfield.

But would they leave me alone!? Twice, as I lined up for a final approach, I glimpsed one of them hanging away off to one side where the gunner was quite capable of sighting on me. Twice, I pulled up and tried to shake him off just above the treetops. My tirade at the injustice of it all got so bad that my wife was even forced to pause Hawaii Five 0 until I calmed down.

In that moment of lucidity, and much to my chagrin, I took a longer look and realised it was one of my wingmen! (In my defence I would like to say that none of them have ever followed me down during a forced landing before - honest).

A chap knew where he was with a monoplane configuration and straightforward interrupter gear, rather than this unpredictable swivel mounting. I want the Eindeckers back!

• Like 1

Hello Wayfarer, good to see you're still going strong with your B.E2 campaigns. Did you have a wry chuckle over my pilot's short but sweet contribution to the genre, I wonder (?)

The Eindeckers really are over-rated. Unless they are above you in greater number, the ol Bee is not too badly off in terms of avoiding them (coz it 'runs' faster!) or even fighting back (just remember: "avoid if at all possible and only fight when there's no other way out" - have I got it right now, Si?!) :grin:

The Rolands are an entirely different prospect - and if you haven't done so already, might I suggest you look closely at switching at least rear guns (affects player and AI) to 'less accurate'; and 'AI gun range' to easy. These are both SIA-RSS recommended settings, so it's in the interests of historical accuracy (ie not seen as 'cheating'). Unlike the Einie, they are faster than a Bee, so running from a fight will only work if you have a good head start!

From April 1916 you should start seeing a few new planes up and about - on both sides. You might already have come across N.11s, and you should see the first run of Sopwith Strutters soon too.

Good luck! :salute:

Yes the Rolands are a bit dangerous, I'd even suggest they are a bit 'ubered'. My pilot in Spring of '16 flying for RFC 29, flying the DH2, was in a flight that was 'jumped' by a squadron of Rolands passing overhead. The amount of unlimited aerobatics they engaged in while handing that flight it's hinder was a bit over the top, climbing barrel rolls and energetic loops with the observer shooting incredibly accurate shots while the attacking plane was cavorting about. :blink:

I even enlisted a new German pilot just to test the Roland out. It's way too zippy and maneuverable for a plane the briefing describes as, "...considered nose heavy and tricky to fly by novice pilots."

I'm sorry, the Roland in OFF is a slightly porky Buecker Jungman in disguise.

Beware!

There are some tricks you can do if you encounter it and it decides you're fair game, If flying Nupes with the French, use your better speed and aerobatic ability to keep the tailgunner occupied while you try to maneuver for a belly shot. If you're flying a BE2 keep your distance, if in a DH2 try to keep way under under the Roland's own six and keep moving about. When making a side attack, dive under it instead of veering off or over after shooting a burst,. remember to keep moving. And, if you find your self in the lucky position of being underneath one pull in a whip stall turn while underneath it and put a few rounds in it's cute little blue belly for good measure.

I'd rather not tangle with them.

I'm sorry, the Roland in OFF is a slightly porky Buecker Jungman in disguise.

:rofl:

Well, the 'BrisFit' beat me up so many times - why shouldn't you Crumpets have your own nemesis?

Mmuahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!

Well, the 'BrisFit' beat me up so many times - why shouldn't you Crumpets have your own nemesis?

Mmuahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!

Yes I guess we'll need some game "leveler' to make up for the coming Snipe..:rofl:

this is a pair of nice videos about the Bucker.

"The Rolands are an entirely different prospect - and if you haven't done so already, might I suggest you look closely at switching at least rear guns (affects player and AI) to 'less accurate'; and 'AI gun range' to easy. These are both SIA-RSS recommended settings, so it's in the interests of historical accuracy (ie not seen as 'cheating')."

TaillyHo, coincidentally I had just done that before my first mission that encountered the Rolands, as I got fed up of my engine regularly being peppered by Eindeckers from hundreds of yards away. Once in a while, perhaps, but the frequency seemed too high. I would have been in even more trouble if I hadn't!

"Yes the Rolands are a bit dangerous, I'd even suggest they are a bit 'ubered'. My pilot in Spring of '16 flying for RFC 29, flying the DH2, was in a flight that was 'jumped' by a squadron of Rolands passing overhead. The amount of unlimited aerobatics they engaged in while handing that flight it's hinder was a bit over the top, climbing barrel rolls and energetic loops with the observer shooting incredibly accurate shots while the attacking plane was cavorting about"

Thanks Lewie, that eases the pain!

"Mmuahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!"

Olham, that sounds remarkably similar to the sound of a Roland crew passing a stricken BE2!

"The Eindeckers really are over-rated. Unless they are above you in greater number, the ol Bee is not too badly off in terms of avoiding them (coz it 'runs' faster!) or even fighting back (just remember: "avoid if at all possible and only fight when there's no other way out" - have I got it right now, Si?!) :grin:"

Spot on, Mr. Ho.