Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

OT, but only a little bit.

Having recently found out my Grandfather was in the Dover Patrol in WW1, I was recently browsing for information about the Dover Patrol, and found this instead ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_M2

Though layed down in 1916, these subs were too late for WW1 in 1919, but in the 1920's, they were used for experimentation, and HMS M2 was fitted with an aircraft hangar and small sea plane, a Parnall Peto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parnall_Peto

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the picture, and thought it must be a photoshop effort, but it isn't. I take it the plane was withdrawn into the hangar before diving. The M2 sank with all hands in 1932.

All new to me, but thought you'd be interested....

post-45899-0-03486500-1313156021.jpg

post-45899-0-76669600-1313156038.jpg

Your correct the wings where folding so it could be put into the hangar...

Yes, some navies experimented with submarines carrying aircraft between the wars. I think the Japanese used them most extensively, but they never completed the construction of the majority of such subs. Considering the huge distances of the Pacific Ocean, it was a very good idea to use such stealthy "bases" for reconnaissance aircraft.

Piece of Service admin trivia: the aircrew based on the M2 were unique for drawing RAF Flying Pay and RN Submarine Pay at the same time..

Edited by Mike Dora

Yes, the Japanese even used submarine-based E14Y "Glen" planes to bomb Oregon.

I thought I was quite knowledgeable about WW2, but the more you dig, you just keep learning....

Say for example, if you had to guess, how many aircraft carriers did the US have during WW2? 10? 20? 50?

Let's see, there were 4 carriers in the Pacific Fleet which were at sea during Pearl, then there are the ones I could name, ... Yorktown, Hornet and Enterprise at Midway, ....

According to Wiki, the US built 151 aircraft carriers of all classes during WW2.

I just find it hard to believe, 151 carriers!!!