Sign in to follow this  
shortbutslow

Video Card advice please

I posted for this info over two years ago and got sidetracked so still have not upgraded. And since then I figure the technology has changed a bit, soooo - still looking at a new video card.

Current system is a Dell Inspiron Pent core duo E7300, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM with AMD radeon HD 3450 PCIe card ( I have made the recommended ATI adjustments for BHaH), Vista 64 bit. Have the sliders at 2,2,1,2,1, getting frame rates in the 30's but flying in the rain makes it stutter and I'd like to get those sliders up! Also wondering about heat, fans and power supply.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

By way of a 'bottom marker', I have a 512 Mb Nvidia 8800GT, and I run at 5-3-3-4-5 with skins at high resolution and ground objects medium, 1600x900, 4x AA, 4xAF, and get about the same average FPS as you do now, no stutter. Had a budget 9300GS before that, and ran sliders slightly above yours with 2xAA & 2xAF and got the same stutter in bad weather. the 8800GT was enough to cure thatand up the sliders, AA and AF a notch. So anything better, should give you better still results. Needed a new PSU as the 8800GT needed more power on the 12v rail - check what your chosen card needs for that, not just the wattage.

Welcome to OFF, shortbutslow!

Your system should be fine, and the card could be anything from an ATI 4870 on upwards.

I am running the HD4870, and have sliders on 5, 4, 3, 5, 5 now - and it looks great, as you

may see in my screenshots.

If you send me a PM with your town and country/state, I'll add you to our OFF Forum Pilots maps.

Thanks Olham!! I've actually been around for a few years but dormant for a bit :-)

Thank you for your advice - I've found a Diamond ATI Ratheon HD5570 locally for about $65 - would that be a good choice?

And are there any things to consider with TrackerIR?

Don't know this card; best is to google for comparing tests - some ATI cards were not so good; others are great.

TrackIR will work with any newer card without problems.