Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Idea - Centralized "How To" Modding Docs in Wiki

Guys, I've had this idea for a central repository of all modding/ini/how-to articles at Biohaz for over a year and have not had the time to get things in place until now. Let me explain, then tell me if it's something you guys would use and contribute to.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Wiki. Here's the "official" explanation, then I'll break it down on how it would fit into what I'm talking about:

Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and crosslinks between internal pages on the fly.

Wiki is unusual among group communication mechanisms in that it allows the organization of contributions to be edited in addition to the content itself.

Like many simple concepts, "open editing" has some profound and subtle effects on Wiki usage. Allowing everyday users to create and edit any page in a Web site is exciting in that it encourages democratic use of the Web and promotes content composition by nontechnical users.

Basically what it means to us, is that it's a living breathing repository that anyone (or anyone with rights) can add to, edit, update, etc. This allows a group of people to add their bits of knowledge to a central area, creating a central source for all this info we seem to figure out, then lose later. ;) The explanation sounds complicated, but it's really quite easy to get a handle on and use. Pretty soon, we'll wonder how we ever got along without it.

I would very much like to create something like this for Project-1 and LOMAC, eventually expanding it to other sims as well. I think it could turn into an incredible resource for current and future modders. But before I put any work into it, I want to get a feeling for what the modding community thinks. Would you use it?

Do a quick search on Wiki on Google and you can see some great examples of what other communities have done with Wiki, then please post your thoughts. Here's some examples to look at to get a feel for the possibilities:

Halo Modders Wiki

http://wiki.fpsgamers.se/index.php/Halo/HomePage

BF1942 Modders Wiki

http://www.twilighthalls.de/bf1942/wiki.ph...title=Main_Page

Unreal Modders Wiki

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki