Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

old planes

My first flight was in a C47 over the Owen Stanley's for the first Australian airborne attack on Lae ,New Guinea i943

Holy crap! They didn't even give you a practice jump first?!?!?!?

Anyway, you need to tell the staff here about that so you can get the "Honored Veteran" tag for your name that you deserve :salute:

My first flight was in a C47 over the Owen Stanley's for the first Australian airborne attack on Lae ,New Guinea i943

Holy &%$&, Tell us more, I havent seen any written resources on the Australian Airborne ,but I would luv to Hear or Read some.

I addition to the planes I have sat in, an ambition of mine is to fly the seat of a Fairey Swordfish where my father sat as wireless operator.

Working on it .... :grin:

There is one in Santa Monica, Calif (U.S.) Its hanging from the celing . I dont know of its history only that it was a gift .

As I've mentioned in this forum before, my first flight was in a Stearman at about age 9 or 10 and I've been hooked on open cockpits ever since. Done a bit of UL flying to that end. In the USAF I had some time in the RC-135, EC-135, and a short flight in an EC-47 where I got to take the right hand seat for about 30 minutes. Also took hops in the Galaxy C-5 and C-130 Herc. Commercial aircraft too numerous to list or remember. I've also sat in the cockpits of an SE5a, Sopwith Camel, Alb DVa, Nieuport 28, SPAD 13, and numerous other WWI and early era planes, most of which escape me at this early hour of the morning.

...must...have...more...coffee...

I have hopes to ride in a Steerman this summer . or some other 2 winged wonder.

My only Paratroop story:

An over heard conversation between 2 men passing time in airport terminal . Both men were taking about the Service. The young man said that he had 5 jumps under his belt.

The older man said that He had only 1 jump : Normandy.

Hi Bullethead,

No we weren't paras, just airborne.A US para regiment jumped the day before and burned off a strip for us and we landed in a much more dignified manner.Though some Aussie Gunners jumped with the US paras {if I remember correctly it was the 503rd Para Regiment].Some of the gunners did not have any practice jumps at all.

Cheers all

We must have someone in the Forum that has flown on one . How about it anyone ? or knew someone describe a flight on one.

Served my first tour in the RAF at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire. In 1973 I flew to Singapore and then back to the UK when I was part of an RAF engine change team - outbound trip took 4 days via Cyprus, Persian Gulf, Gan (Maldives) then into Singapore. Replaced the engine on the 'Brit' there then flew back to the UK in that aircraft. They called the Brittania 'The Whispering Giant'. Reverse flow turbo-prop engine. Nice aircraft.

No we weren't paras, just airborne.A US para regiment jumped the day before and burned off a strip for us and we landed in a much more dignified manner.Though some Aussie Gunners jumped with the US paras {if I remember correctly it was the 503rd Para Regiment].Some of the gunners did not have any practice jumps at all.

Well, still quite a ride I bet. It's my understanding that planes, especially heavy C-47s, didn't go over the Owen-Stanleys, they went between them, hoping the cloud ahead wasn't full of rocks. :salute:

There was a gap in the Owen Stanleys some miles wide not far out of Moresby.I remember the peaks were higher than our formation as we went through.It must have been a real death trap in bad weather.They are still discovering wrecks occasionally.I take my hat off to the boys who were doing the trip on a daily basis for months at a time.

Hi Carrick,

We were not what was later known as Airborne troops in the British army.We were just an ordinary infantry division {7th Aust Infantry Division]It was just that in this particular campaign we were solely supplied and transported by air as there were no roads in the area.Through the attack on Lae and later operations in tje Markham and Ramu Valley operations there was no transport other than jeeps and native carrier parties.

Best regards.

Hi Bullethead,

Cheers all

That's why there was such outrage when the UK Ministry of Defence bean counters did away with the Pegasus badge, the traditional symbol for all Airborne Forces, not just Paratroopers.

That's why there was such outrage when the UK Ministry of Defence bean counters did away with the Pegasus badge, the traditional symbol for all Airborne Forces, not just Paratroopers.

A bit like what was done in the USAF back in my time as concerned the ops crews in the ELINT and SIGINT aircraft. Not allowed to wear any badge that signified we worked aloft in the exact same conditions as the air crews who were allowed to wear wings, be they officer or enlisted. And if the platform we were all in had the misfortune of going down, we would have been listed as 'died in training accident'. Ah well, c'est la vie, c'est la guerre.

Hi Carrick,

We were not what was later known as Airborne troops in the British army.We were just an ordinary infantry division {7th Aust Infantry Division]It was just that in this particular campaign we were solely supplied and transported by air as there were no roads in the area.Through the attack on Lae and later operations in tje Markham and Ramu Valley operations there was no transport other than jeeps and native carrier parties.

Best regards.

Hi, There Hood.

From what u stated U were must have been an Airmobile Division :salute:

Served my first tour in the RAF at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire. In 1973 I flew to Singapore and then back to the UK when I was part of an RAF engine change team - outbound trip took 4 days via Cyprus, Persian Gulf, Gan (Maldives) then into Singapore. Replaced the engine on the 'Brit' there then flew back to the UK in that aircraft. They called the Brittania 'The Whispering Giant'. Reverse flow turbo-prop engine. Nice aircraft.

My Man. I knew that someone in the forum could add a touch of Personal History to the aircraft.

Yes Carrick,I daresay that would describe it pretty exactly.Our 9th Division which formed the other axis of the attack made an authodox amphibious landing a few miles north of Lae.

Cheers