Hauksbee

OT-The perfect cigarette for pilots everywhere...

I was following a series of links about "Biggles", hoping to find imaginatively drawn aircraft after the style of "Bill Barnes". It proved otherwise. The Biggles stories were all text with an occasional illustration. But I saw a good sampling of covers for "Popular Flying" (where, I presume, most of the Biggles stories were published.) I was struck by the amount for front cover space that got sold off to advertising. The banner ad at the bottom for Genasprin was a monthly fixture. But what really amused me was the full-color girl pilot on the front, being a repeat of the b/w ad on the back. And the purple prose copy line: "For Men and Women with WILLS of their own". It's easy to forget there was a time when cigarettes were glamorous.

Edited by Hauksbee

Having recently given up the evil weed...I can say I am glad the advertising is now illegal

Shu-weeet graphic work though!

Sentimental look-back into the 50s - when EVERYTHING seemed possible.

My dad used to read two magazines with futuristic designs, "Hobby" and "Populäre Mechanik".

Both American mags, translated into German. For me as a boy they were amazing!

Having recently given up the evil weed...I can say I am glad the advertising is now illegal

:good: Congratulations and good luck, Widowmaker. I say "congratulations" because I've seen how difficult it is to overcome an addiction to cigarettes. And I say "good luck" to remind you that it's a fight that you'll have to fight every day for a lo-o-o-o-ong time before you're truly free.

I'll stop there, but please read my "private rant" post.

Having recently given up the evil weed...

Good on you, mate! It took me 30 years to make the final break.