Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Map marked for a bombing raid of Cuerne aerodrome?

The markings on this map from September 1918 could have been made for bombers or aerial reconaissance.

I thought of bombers first, because the main railway line in the red marked corridor is all marked with a pencil;

so the main target could have been the railway, and the secondary target Cuerne aerodrome.

If anyone knows more about this map, please tell us.

Could be for any number of things Olham, and your guess is as good as mine. There was a lot of fighting around Cuerne late in the fall of 1918.

It could be for anything, but if I had to make a guess, the pencil line might be the proposed flightpath, and the two red lines the 'strip' of land subject to aerial reconnaisance. Back at HQ, the pics would be combined into continuous images, with each flight required to photograph a certain designated flight path with some awareness of where the edge to his sector was. That's just a complete guess, but it would make sense. Just bad luck his sector has an enemy airfield in it.

Edit - It's all subjective, but the area contained within the red lines is roughly equal to the area you see in a typical aerial photograph.

Edited by Flyby PC