Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Flying the Bell P-39 Airacobra

Beautiful machine.But,its strange that even though this aircraft was American,it's biggest users were the Russians during WWII.

She was a little behind the times for what the US wanted out of her, which was a high alt interceptor and escourt but, the Russians loved this plane for its low level below 15K it could turn and make pace with the BF-109s

A capricious engine and who rapidly losing its performance with altitude ranked the P-39 in a path for ground attack, something that the VVF have appreciated, especially with its big brother the Kingcobra. Anyway with a 37mm canon, two .50cal and four .30cal, the Airacobra was capable to wash the ground troops under an iron rain !

The VVS liked the Cobras for a couple of reasons:

- high production-quality

- actually transparent armored-glass

- radio-equipment, that worked

- acceptable low-level performance

The quality of the airframe/ engine/ equippment was miles ahead of what the Soviet Union would produce at this time.

The "Little Shaver", Brit Chik if my Russian is correct.

I also read somewhere that the Russians liked this aircraft due to it's cockpit."I liked the Cobra, especially the Q-5 version. It was the lightest version of all Cobras and was the best fighter I ever flew. The cockpit was very comfortable, and visibility was outstanding. The instrument panel was very ergonomic, with the entire complement of instruments right up to an artificial horizon and radio compass. It even had a relief tube in the shape of a funnel. The armored glass was very strong, extremely thick. The armor on the back was also thick. The oxygen equipment was reliable, although the mask was quite small, only covering the nose and mouth. We wore that mask only at high altitude. The HF radio set was powerful, reliable and clear."This was said by a Russian pilot whose name I could'nt find.