Sign in to follow this  
Blackclaw00

Persian Gulf Terrain Install

I've been searching the forums but haven't found anything that helps a newb understand how to install terrain. I'm trying to install Wrench's Persian Gulf terrain and here's what the readme says:

To Install:

As I always reccomend, unzip the "persiangulf.zip" to a temp folder, or your desktop or somewhere's else that easy to find.

Then, simply copy/paste, move, however you want to do it, CubaOTC terrain folder INTO you main /Terrains folder in whichever game install you're installing it to!.

Then, from the 'xtra goodies to add' sub folder, and place the items as stated in the /Weapons, /GroundObjects, and /Guns folders.

Some of the groundobjects are repeats of others you may already have ... if so, allow the Overwrite, as many have been updated for SF2NA/April/May 2012 Patch level and so forth.

With luck, I've included everything -- if not, let me know and I'll upload it. Basically, ALL the ground Objects from Operation Darius should be used here

Right now, it's pointing to the SF2 desert.cat, but should work with the others =EXCEPT= SF2:Is IsrealME.cat and SF2:NA's IcelandNA.cat. DO NOT USE THAT CAT FOR THIS MOD!!

There's a good chance that there's some odd bits that aren't used floating around in the terrain folder ... don't worry about them .. just ignore them!

* Note: if attempting to use this terrain in pre-April or May 2012 patch levels, it would be advisable to remove the NavalMap=TRUE statement from the PersianGulf.ini. You'll just have to fly your Navy Birds from land bases, as there are NO CVstations in the _Targets.ini. *

That's it! Go fly!

I think he pasted these instructions in from the cuba terrain since there is no CUBAOTC folder, so I just assume he meant the PersianGulf folder. But simply copying everything into a PersianGulf folder in the terrains directory doesn't work. Apparently I have to do something with a CAT file, but I have no idea what. I don't know what he means when he talks about pointing to desert.cat. I don't have such a file and I don't know what file I would edit to change what is being pointed at.

My apologies if this is ground that's been covered before, but even a search of the knowledge base didn't cover just what goes on in a terrain install. I think everyone has known how to do it for so long it's become assumed knowledge.

watt type of install to you have and check to see the persian gulf folder does have the same name subfolder something like this

persiangulf\persiangulf

all terrain pieces must be in the root persian gulf folder.

I take you've heard of the term "typo", yes??? :biggrin: Change 'CubaOTC' to "persian gulf', and the instructions are the same.

I reallly can't make them any easier.

As to the terrain cat, I'd suggest this:

http://combatace.com...dding-terrains/

read the whole sub-forum, especially the 'selecting terrain cats' thread. It might be a good idea, being fairly new at this the read all the posts in the SF/Wo* Knowledge Base (90% of that data is still applicable to SF2), as well as all of them in the SF2 Knowledge Base. In the long run ™, that'll be time well spent!

the instructions for installing terrain is the SAME for the entire SF series; the only difference for the SF2 series, is you must have a /Terrains folder in your mods folder wherein to install the new terrain sub-folder.

When I upload a terrain, the ENTIRE terrain folder is ready to unzip and drop into your game install.

as to YOUR cat issue ... safe to assume you do NOT have SF2?? That's where the desert.cat lies. In that case, you'll have to follow the instructions from the links above...and select one of the cat pointer lines provided in the PersianGulf.ini

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Persian Gulf

DataFile=PersianGulf_data.INI

TargetFile=PersianGulf_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=PersianGulf_types.INI

MovementFile=PersianGulf_movement.INI

NationsFile=PersianGulf_nations.INI

BriefingText=PersianGulf_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=PersianGulf_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

WaterMap=PersianGulf_Water.bmp

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

Longitude=25.80

Latitude=52.08

LimitedNations=TRUE

GroundObjectTexture=Tan

NavalMap=TRUE

the bold selections are catpointer lines for other stock terrain cats.

Thanks for your help. I have Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam and Strike Fighters 2 Europe. I still cannot get the new terrain to show up. Here's what I've done.

Created a Terrains folder in my Mods directory.

Placed the PersianGulf folder in the Mods\Terrain directory.

Edited the PersianGulf_Targets.INI to point to VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELDs

Edited the PersianGulf.INI

Changes made:

//CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

CatFile=..\..\..\Terrains\VietnamSEA.cat

The VietnamSEA.cat file is located in D:\Games\Strike Fighters 2\Terrains on my machine. I'm trying to point to it from D:\Games\Strike Fighters 2\Mods\Terrains\PersianGulf.

just uncomment the lines I've provided in the PersianGulf ini, and use the GermanyCE.cat.

meaning, from this:

DogfightOnly=FALSE

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

Longitude=25.80

Latitude=52.08

LimitedNations=TRUE

GroundObjectTexture=Tan

NavalMap=TRUE

to this:

DogfightOnly=FALSE

//CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

Longitude=25.80

Latitude=52.08

LimitedNations=TRUE

GroundObjectTexture=Tan

NavalMap=TRUE

btw, it ain't gonna work as advertised, as you need SF2NA for the CV zones coding from the _water bmp

Important: NEVER NEVER NEVER touch the _targets.ini. If you look in the terrain folder, you'll find the various Desert airfield inis already provided. This is because they ain't stock ... and without these corrected ones, stuff isn't gonna sit or show up properly.

to reiterate: terrains I upload are complete packages; all the End User ™ needs is the proper game install to drop them into.

the screenie below is what your /Terrains folder should look like (well, maybe with all the others!)

edit: did't notice you have your core install on another HD. Those pathways are designed for use only with the core files located on the C drive. You may need to reinstall SF2 into the proper pathway

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2

although, I don't see why it shouldn't work, but it may not. All my stuff resides on /C, so ... ???

Edited by Wrench

btw, it ain't gonna work as advertised, as you need SF2NA for the CV zones coding from the _water bmp

Ah. Okay, I didn't realized that was a requirement.

Thanks anyway. And thanks for all your hard work on the free content you've uploaded to this site.

you're welcome!

it doesn't mean it won't work, it just means that you won't have carriers. (afaik, the coding for the 'carrier zones' only comes from a full merged install with SF2NA somewhere in the mix)

you'll be flying from land bases only