Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

2 days, 2 aces

Guys, I'd love to be there and see it all. Shiloh, I hope you will prepare well and carry enough

isotonic drinks - or at least water with some salt in?

Wish you could come Olham but it is halfway around the world from you. If I see an Albatros fly over the field and do a wing-waggle I'll know it's you. :bye:

I've been hydrating for a week already and will be eating salty meats during the event like they ate when they were on campaign. Some guys drink Gatorade and stuff like that to replace the electrolytes.

Have fun shiloh, but be careful of the heat.  I cannot imagine marching 20 miles on a hot July day in a dark blue wool uniform.  I would like to be there to watch your fine regiment perform on the field of battle.

Long distance runners used dried prunes/plums before Gatorade for electrolytes.

Maybe that's more historically correct?

I'm not too keen on the Gatorade either Olham. Over the course of a normal day I drink water and hot tea with an occasional vegetable juice so I'm going to stick with what I'm used to. I will bring dates, raisins, cranberries, apples, beef jerky, tomatoes, corn, peas, beef stews, soups, corn bread and some jams. Some is correct, and some not as far as what they would have access to while on campaign but it will all be concealed and I can hide the non-period stuff, and only eat the authentic stuff out in the open. But from the food listed above, I feel I'll get the nutrients I need to keep my body going.

But from the food listed above, I feel I'll get the nutrients I need to keep my body going.

Definitely! Aerhhm... do you have your own supply waggon? :grin:

Did I mention I have a big appetite Olham?

No, you didn't - but it makes sense!

Edited by Olham

Shiloh do not forget the Wormy hardtack and salt pork I have read so much about.  You will also have to have coffee evert chance you get while on the march.  From everything I have read these guys could build a fire and have coffee very fast.  The good thing for you is at least you are Union so the panty is well stocked compared to your Confederate soldiers.  All I can say is hide the beef, pork, and chickens the Army of Northern Virgina is in the area.

With my RFC-48 Brisfit pilot Major Benjamin Dawes, I once again had a 2 ace experience...almost. We were patrolling the front lines when I saw a bunch of specs low to the ground just over the German lines. I took our flight down to investigate and noted some Albs from Jasta 18 roughing up some RE8's as they were trying to get back over the lines. As always, I turn on labels briefly when entering a fight to identify who we're fighting and I saw Walter von Bulow-Bothkamp (28 victory ace) in my sights. I knew he was a fine ace so I dove on him and filled him full of lead. We danced around for a while and once he sent me into a spin trying to stay on his tail but I was able to get behind him again eventually. Soon after we had a slight collision where our wing tips met but the sturdy Brisfit stayed up. My maneuverability was compromised but I kept wearing Bothkamp down before he finally crashed into the trenches just inside German lines.

Then I spotted another brightly-decorated plane and flicked on labels again to see I was pursuing Paul Strahle (15 victory ace). I roughed him up a bit and I felt like I had him and then I heard my rear-gunner chattering away. One quick look revealed another Alb on my tail and I banked hard right to lose him. After I straightened out Strahle took a shot at me head-on and hit my engine causing a loss of power. I immediately made for the lines and was able to outrun an Alb that was pursuing. My kite was tough to keep level due to the wing damage but she did fine and I was able to land safely at Beugnatre.

Another thrilling fight in the world of OFF.

Edited by Shiloh