Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Interview With JSF_Aggie

CombatACE Interview With JSF_Aggie

In this week's CombatACE Spotlight Segment we have the wonderful oportunity to interview a member who has been here since 2004. JSF_Aggie who is reffered to as the Campaingn Guru and kind enough to do an interview with us.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sectSo, JSF_Aggie, can you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm married with two children, a daughter who's a freshman in high school, and a son who's in 1st grade.  I'm a software engineer, and I work in a flight simulation lab.  My wife is a teacher. I run a youth basketball league and spend a lot of time coaching.

What interest you about aviation?

I'm an Air Force brat.  My dad was a gunner on the B-52H until they took the gun off, in about '92.  I grew up at several SAC bases, went to high school at Edwards AFB, and worked there on the flight line, during high school and college summers.  The plan was always to become a pilot, but my vision was not good enough.  

What is your favorite aircraft and why?

B-52, because of the family connection, but also because of its history and service length.

What got you interested in flight simulation?

Just general love of aviation.  I grew up around aircraft and every job I've had has dealt with aviation in some fashion.  Being able to tweak and create like you can with the TW sims is important to me as well.  

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sectDo you remember the first flight sim you ever played?

Probably Jane's USAF.  I didn't have a computer until my last couple years of college.  I didn't have one that you could really enjoy a flight sim on until after I graduated.

What motivated you to arrive here at Combat Ace and stay here 9 years?

Thirdwire's sims cover what is my favorite eras of aviation.  CombatAce has some StrikeFighters guys that were around before I discovered the game.  Most everyone here has always been very willing to help out when I had questions, and the mods that have been created by these guys take the sim to a whole different level, compared to the stock game.  

When did you start modding?

Shortly after I started flying Strike Fighters, sometime in 2003, I think the first thing I uploaded was high res skin/template for the Beagle.

What does modding do for you? Is it something that is relaxing, a neat hobby, etc?

It reminds me of building aircraft models as a kid. Outside of family and work, it's one of the few hobbies I try and make time for.

What motivated you to make the Operation Desert Storm Campaign mod?

Dave's constant nagging.

What events led to you being called the Campaign Guru?

I think Dave stuck that there after the original ODS was released.  I think there were fewer guys doing campaign stuff back then, so I think it had more to do with quantity rather than quality.

What is a campaign you would like to make provided the resources are available?

A Soviet vs. US campaign for the DBS terrain.  I've gotten pretty far along three different times, and eventually started over.  The last time was to take advantage of what SF:NA gave us. I plan to get back to it soon.

What modding tools do you use and why?

Photoshop for texture editing.  TW's TerrainEditor and gerwin's TFDTool for terrain work.  And gvim and examdiff for text files.

What is your favorite mod you have created?

The skin template for the B-52 is the only time I've skinned a model totally from scratch.  I begged Dave to do it and I think it turned out pretty good.  I've also been on the team of some really good stuff like ODS and OTC, and I think it was really cool to be able to contribute to large mods such as those.

What is your favorite mod that you did not create?

I haven't been able to come up with just one.  I lean towards the effect mods that deuces did back in the day, and what Stary does now.  Also, I think there are several really good add-on terrains that add a lot to the sim.  

Who is a Modder you admire or inspired you to start modding?

Lately I would say eburger68.  I hope everyone realizes how much work goes into the mods he puts together, and the older ones he's updated for us.  

Do you have any favorite quotes or thoughts about being here at Combat Ace you’d like to share?

I'm sure I'll take crap for this, but what the hell are all the references to the Eels about?

Thank you for reading this week's CombatACE Spotlight Segment. There is still more to come, until next time, I'm Skyviper wishing everyone out there happy landings.

• Like 6