Sign in to follow this  
Adger

Anyone use freetrack or Facetrack noir for WOFF or OFF?

Hi guys really after some advice here.....just sent off for a ps3 eye camera and a Delanclip from ebay (similar to track clip pro)...How does freetrack or facetrack noir perform? is it easy to set up?i know Trackir is better but this time of year £140 is just not available ...any info will be greatly appreciated ...thanks guys drinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

Funny you should ask...

It happens I went through a **lot** of trouble getting my rudder pedals to work with WOFF, and it turns out the reason was the 'virtual joystick driver' that FaceTrackNoIR uses (the Devs updated their FAQ to include this, and based on that I was able to resolve my problems).  What's interesting is they don't say you cannot use it, just that if you do, then you have to uninstall the VJoy driver while you do the controller assignments.  They don't say explicitly whether you can just re-install faceTrackNoIR afterwards, but I have seen on the official website it says you can use FaceTrackNoIR.

I haven't re-installed mine yet.  But I had used it before all this, and I can tell you it does work.  You will have to tweak and fiddle somewhat (maybe a lot), and TBH I wasn't able to get it working as well as I wanted - but that was in a very limited effort.  As you've realized (and I did) a webcam is way cheaper than a full-on TrackIR setup.  I have TrackIR, but was evaluating FaceTrackNoIR for my kids and my brother, all of whom were interested in flght sims w/head tracking but couldn't afford TrackIR.  One difference is my kids already had the PS3 Eye Cam, which is why I decided to try it in the firstplace; it literally didn't cost me anything.

FWIW, I suspect FreeTrack will work better, only because it's still able to use the IRLED method.  I like FaceTrackNoIR because it doesn't even require a headset, just a webcam.  I think this type of 'face tracking' is the future...but then, there is progress being made in 'wearable display' technology (like Oculus Rift).  Personally, I'd prefer to not have to wear anything.

I hope this helps, if only somewhat.  Good luck to you - let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Tamper,just gotta wait a few days for my items to arrive as soon as im up and running (fingers crossed) il let you know how i got on  :smile:

Regards,Adger

Ps just using the Hat switch on my joystick at the moment but i edited the Viewui.xml files to pan quicker,but i just wanted to take my immersion a step further by having head tracking,cheers for the in depth response to my Query sir.

Edited by Adger1971