Sign in to follow this  
Olham

The Quirky Quiz

William Gordon Claxton   37 victories in 79 days

N°41 Squadron flying SE5a

First victory was a Fokker DR1 on May 27, 1918.

DFC (Aug 3, 1918) : "Lt. William Gordon Claxton. This officer at all times shows fine courage and disregard of danger. He has accounted for six enemy aeroplanes and one kite balloon, three of the aeroplanes being destroyed and three driven down out of control. On a recent occasion, having destroyed a hostile balloon, he pursued an enemy scout ten miles and eventually drove it down; he was then attacked by five enemy triplanes and other scouts, but managed to return to our lines, though his machine was riddled with bullets."

DFC - Bar "Lieut. William Gordon Claxton, D.F.C. This officer is conspicuous for his courage in attack. Recently in one day he destroyed six enemy aeroplanes—four in the morning and two in the evening. In thirteen days he accounted for fourteen machines. His utter disregard of danger inspires all who serve with him."

DSO : "Lieut. William Gordon Claxton, D.F.C. Between 4 July and 12 August this officer destroyed ten enemy aeroplanes and one kite balloon, making in all thirty machines and one "kite balloon to his credit. Untiring in attack in the air or on the ground, this officer has rendered brilliant service."

Didn't find anything on a VC in March, his first victory was in May ...

Interesting to note his life was saved by a german doctor, after he crash landed in enemy lines in August 1918

Edited by corsaire31

Just realized I am wrong, he was born in Manitoba, but not in Stonewall ....   searching again !

Think I found the man :

Alan Arnette Mc Leod

Two seater driver, flew the Armstrong-Whitworth MK8 with 2 Squadron near Hesdigneul.

He soloed on his fifth day of in flight instruction with only 3 hours of experience of the Avro 504

Before that he flew 2 weeks the BE 12 "fighter" chasing Zeppelins at night over London.

His first victory was a DR1 ( needed a confirmation from a balloon observer, noone would believe bombers attacked fighters !  :biggrin: )

Victoria Cross on March 27, 1918 :

"His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to award the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned officer of the Royal Air Force, for services displaying outstanding bravery:
2nd Lieutenant Alan Arnett McLeod, Royal Air Force.
While flying with his observer, Lieutenant A. W. Hammond, M.C., attacking hostile formations by bombs and machine gun fire, he was assailed at a height of 5,000 feet by eight enemy triplanes which dived at him from all directions, firing from their front guns. By skilful manoeuvring he enabled his observer to fire bursts at each machine in turn, shooting three of them down out of control. By this time Lieutenant McLeod had received five wounds, and while continuing the engagement a bullet penetrated his petrol tank and set the machine on fire.
He then climbed out on to the left bottom plane, controlling his machine from the side of the fusilage, and by sideslipping steeply kept the flames to one side, thus enabling the observer to continue firing until the ground was reached.
The observer had been wounded six times when the machine crashed in "No Man's Land" and 2nd Lieutenant McLeod, notwithstanding his own wounds, dragged him away from the burning wreckage at great personal risk from heavy machine-gun fire from the enemy's lines. This very gallant pilot was again wounded by a bomb whilst engaged in this act of rescue, but he persevered until he had placed Lieutenant Hammond in comparative safety, before falling himself from exhaustion and loss of blood."

They had flown from the field of 43 squadron where they had to make a forced landing and repair their damaged landing gear while all other 2 squadron planes had gone home.

Sadly he died at the age of 19 from spanish influenza while recuperating in Canada
Edited by corsaire31

Sorry for mistyping, the plane is Armstrong-Whitworth FK8 and not Mk8.  Not really a fighter...

armstrong-whitworth_fk-8_b230_zps7432432

corsaire. you nailed it. I pass the torche to you. I thought for sure it would take longer. You guys are good!

Congrats, Corsaire!

I even had the right event in mind about this question: I had read about Mc Leod's great action

to land the aircraft and to save his observer, which I find a VERY impressive brave deed,

and a good reason for the medal.

But I couldn't remember the name anymore. The olde brains are scrambled egg... :grin:

Congrats, Corsaire!

I even had the right event in mind about this question: I had read about Mc Leod's great action

to land the aircraft and to save his observer, which I find a VERY impressive brave deed,

and a good reason for the medal.

But I couldn't remember the name anymore. The olde brains are scrambled egg... :grin:

Welcome to the scrambled egg club Olham, That is part of the reason it took me so long to post this quiz question. I couldn't remember all the details and hd to look it up again! :fie:

I am watching rugby this afternoon (Ireland-Italy and Scotland-France), don't have much time to make too much research, so we'll make it a simple one.

I found something with skull and bones !

quiz08_zps00eadf40.jpg

- What plane is this ?

- This plane downed a german 2 seater in Sept 1916. What was special about this air victory ?

- What is special to this particular plane ?

Edited by corsaire31

...it took me so long to post this quiz question.

I think we shouldn't put ourselves under too much pressure with this quiz.

I find it perfectly okay, if someone needs a day or even two, to come up with a new question.

Lou for example is on the road so much, that he may find it hard to follow all this.

Corsaire, you picked a good one! I am not familiar with this craft and have drawn a blank searching for it. I will duly back down and await my education from the others. Cudos on your choice!.

The SPAD A series is one of the strangest aeroplane series to have seen service in the Great War, IMHO.  The obs/gunner sat ahead of the prop in the "pulpit".  The particular bus you are showing corsaire31, an A.4, was manned by 2nd Lt Bashinksy and 2nd Lt Huber of the Imperial Russian Air Service, 19th Corps Detachment, and on 6 September 1916 they downed a German 2-seater, accounting for the first victory scored with an SA in the IRAS.

Olham, I am actually home this weekend.  Woo Hoo!

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Lou, I am sure you deserved it! Now I wish you, that you will find some time for flying too!

The SPAD A series is one of the strangest aeroplane series to have seen service in the Great War, IMHO.  The obs/gunner sat ahead of the prop in the "pulpit".  The particular bus you are showing corsaire31, an A.4, was manned by 2nd Lt Bashinksy and 2nd Lt Huber of the Imperial Russian Air Service, 19th Corps Detachment, and on 6 September 1916 they downed a German 2-seater, accounting for the first victory scored with an SA in the IRAS.

Olham, I am actually home this weekend.  Woo Hoo!

Your the man! Lou!! Now I will go off and find more info on the SPAD A aircraft. I thought the tail looked SPADish but couldn't find the craft on the net.

Lou, you have everything right except what is special ( or unusual ) on this particular plane.  :biggrin:

Edited by corsaire31

I believe the prop being located between the obs/gunner and the pilot is about as unusual as it gets, and I did note that, or are you referring to the odd choice of the Vickers gun on this particular bus?  :smile:

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Yes it is the Vickers as the standard MG on the Spad A4 was a Lewis or Madsen.

The prop is situated in an unusual place but this belongs to the plane type.

All good now, your turn !

My turn, eh?  OK then, thinking caps on, though I think this will be an easy one so you won't need them on too tight.  

The aeroplane shown in the photo below was built in the hundreds during its numerous 1917-18 production runs.  In its various forms it was fitted with a variety of rotaries including, but not limited to, the 60 kW and 82 kW Gnome and the 60 kW Le Rhône.   Identify the aeroplane in question, it's designer, the company that produced it, and it's primary area of operation during the war.

GO!

WWI_What_Plane_Is_It_001a.jpg

Geeze - at first looks I thought it should be easy to find, but...

...I didn't. Yet... Cripes! ...

Thomas-Morse S4  "Tommy"

Designed by Benjamin D. Thomas (an englishman who worked before for Sopwith)

Built by Thomas-Morse Aircraft in  Bath, New York

Used mainly as trainer by US Army and US Navy (a few were built with floats)

Type B : 97 for the Army + 10 for the Navy

Type C : 461 for the Army + 4 with floats for the Navy 

After the war many were sold to civilian flight schools

Edited by corsaire31

Correct on all counts corsaire31, well done Sir.

Howard Hughes made a film released in 1930 called "Hells's Angels".  There were a lot of authentic WWI aircraft in the film - he bought a lot from Europe including Fokker DVIIs etc.  Some of them are still flying in the USA.  Hughes himself wanted a certain shot of a Thomas-Morse taking off and then turning and flying back.  He was told that this was suicide in this aircraft.  Nothing daunted he tried it himself and span into the ground as he had been warned.  Was almost killed.  I have the film and will look to see if I can see this aircraft. 

If you have a look at the Pup, you can clearly see this Benjamin Thomas guy has been working with Sopwith.

Yes, that's what I thought. Then I looked through all Sopwith designs I could find -

but I didn't get the idea, someone who had been with Sopwith could have left,

and built his own kites.

Yes, that's what I thought. Then I looked through all Sopwith designs I could find -

but I didn't get the idea, someone who had been with Sopwith could have left,

and built his own kites.

From the angle of the photograph I can see a little of the Snipe heritage forcast. Is it just me?

I took the research the other way around, since we had been given the types of engines, I looked what planes had been fitted with the 60kw Le Rhône. Took me 10 mns to find the S4 Wiki page...  :biggrin:  I must confess I learned something because I never heard of this plane before !

I'm away tomorrow during the day and working the evening till midnight, so there will be a 24 hours break in the quiz !