Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

RNAS roundel colours in 1915

Hi Woffers, I was reading one of my many aviation books last night and came across a photo of a colour painting of Squadron Commander Richard Bell-Davies winning the Victoria cross in 1915 by rescuing a shot-down colleague in his Nieuport.  Unfortunately the book does not give credits for any of the photos used which is unusual.

The book is "Pictorial History of Military Aircraft" edited by John Pimlott, Bison Books 1987.

The Nieuport is shown with the roundel on the rudder, but it is unusual in the the colours from the outer to the inner are red, white and blue.  These are more normally the colours of the French Entente forces.  Is this a mistake on the part of the artist or did the RNAS use that roundel at one time? 

This episode happened in Bulgaria when he was in charge of 3 Squadron RNAS.

I believe the story was used by Capt. W. E. Johns in his Biggles story "The Rescue Flight". 

Here is the Wiki article about him.  He had an interesting life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bell-Davies

I note he was captain of the carrier Pretoria Castle at one time when it was being used for tests, some carried out by Eric M Brown. 

I have emailed the RNAS museum at Yeovilton asking them about this picture and especially the colours of the roundels.  I'll let you know if there is a reply. 

Dear Rachel
thanks for your prompt reply.  I did get a bit suspicious when I saw the date of the painting.  So I reckon we really don't know as the aircraft could have been delivered with those roundels and left that way.  I'm not sure there were any French aircraft in Bulgaria to worry about at the time
Kind Regards
Jim Attrill

On 2014/06/06 04:10 PM, Rachael Casey wrote:

Our reference: RRC 2014/0618

Dear Mr Attrill,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

Bell-Davis was flying a Nieuport Type 10 two-seater Scout with the serial number 3172. This could well have been delivered to the RNAS with French Roundels on its wings and tails – there are photographs of similar. There is one photograph of Flight Sub Lieutenant Smylie posing beside a Nieuport which has tricolour stripes (common to the British and the French machines) with 3172 stencilled on the white.

However, the McDonough painting has a machine with the serial number 3163. This is the right type of aircraft but one that only saw service in France.

I think we must assume therefore that the aircraft in the painting is purely the product of artistic licence.

Kind regards

Rachael Casey (Mrs)

Information and Enquiries Assistant

Fleet Air Arm Museum

01935 842608

• Like 1

Often RNAS squads had French wing roundels, and RFC fuselage roundels.  Odd but true.

We have some such as this in WOFF, and we also have more skins showing this we hope soon.

Edited by Polovski