Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Streets named after German Aviators

I always knew the Manfred-von-Richthofen-Strasse in Berlin-Tempelhof, west of the Tempelhof aerodrome;
and I knew that there was also a street named after Boelcke. But only today I checked the area closer and

I discovered several more streets with aviators'names. I missed many men, who would have deserved to be

honoured like this, like Berthold, or Josef Mai. Others I didn't even know.

Maybe the names selection was done by "Herr Meier" in the 30s or 40s?
That would explain, why Ernst Udet only received a small dead end street.

full-27170-84796-tempelhof.jpg

For post-WW1, I suppose there could be some places named after people like Johannes Steinhoff? - who besides a formidable ace not in favour with the Nazis, was also a prominent figure of post-War Germany & NATO military. I suppose also that due to her political beliefs, there are few places named after Hanna Reitsch, which is a pity for she was one of the most outstanding airwomen ever.

In France, we sometimes find groups of adjacent streets named after illustrious aviators, like Blériot, Mermoz..., with some more local names. For example, in the Southeastern outer rim of Reims, my city of origin, a traffic circle with monument and adjacent street are named after Henri Farman, close to the place where he landed after the first cross-country flight ever in 1908, 27 kms from the village of Bouy to Reims. And in the city of Le Havre where I am living now, there is a "Rue de l'Aviateur Guérin" named after Gabriel Guérin, 23 confirmed kills during WW1 (mostly within SPA 15), who had been born and grown up in this Norman harbour (while said as born in Morocco in most of English-speaking sites!!!). Also, there are several streets in Châlons, Poitiers, etc... which are named after my grand-uncle Henri Guillaumet, hero of the Interwar Aéropostale (who had been born in the same village of Bouy from where Farman had taken-off).

Interesting! I have on a journey through France long ago come through a town where they had a memoire,

a statue or just a stone with a propeller - but back then I was not yet so interested in WW1 aviation, and

so I cannot remember, for whom it was. Garros, maybe.

WW2 aviators would not be chosen for street names in Germany.

You would rather find a Johannes-Steinhoff-Kaserne (casern, barracks) - that would just be the maximum.

For post-WW1, I suppose there could be some places named after people like Johannes Steinhoff? - who besides a formidable ace not in favour with the Nazis, was also a prominent figure of post-War Germany & NATO military. I suppose also that due to her political beliefs, there are few places named after Hanna Reitsch, which is a pity for she was one of the most outstanding airwomen ever.

In France, we sometimes find groups of adjacent streets named after illustrious aviators, like Blériot, Mermoz..., with some more local names. For example, in the Southeastern outer rim of Reims, my city of origin, a traffic circle with monument and adjacent street are named after Henri Farman, close to the place where he landed after the first cross-country flight ever in 1908, 27 kms from the village of Bouy to Reims. And in the city of Le Havre where I am living now, there is a "Rue de l'Aviateur Guérin" named after Gabriel Guérin, 23 confirmed kills during WW1 (mostly within SPA 15), who had been born and grown up in this Norman harbour (while said as born in Morocco in most of English-speaking sites!!!). Also, there are several streets in Châlons, Poitiers, etc... which are named after my grand-uncle Henri Guillaumet, hero of the Interwar Aéropostale (who had been born in the same village of Bouy from where Farman had taken-off).

My wife has family in Fismes which is just down the road from Reims.  I think there was a WWI airfield there at one time used by the Germans.

Hanna Reitsch - just before she died she sent a letter to Capt. Eric Brown the famous RN pilot who had met her before and after the war.  She wrote that 'It started in the bunker and there it will end'.  He is convinced that she eventually committed suicide with a pill given to her in the bunker.   Yes, she was a convinced Nazi for which we cannot blame her because of what was happening in Germany at the time, but she was a fantastic flyer.  The first woman to fly across the channel upside down, so I have read.  And many other feats including flying the Me163 rocket fighter. 

Fismes was, if I remember right, a famous French airfield too. At least in WOFF it is.

Do they serve Maroilles cheese in the mess?  My favourite, but you need a gas mask buba.gif.pagespeed.ce.mFKkxSFY0U.gif

Do they serve Maroilles cheese in the mess?  My favourite, but you need a gas mask buba.gif.pagespeed.ce.mFKkxSFY0U.gif

We call it a "slightly tasty cheese", in the US, it would be rated as a "mass destruction bacteriological weapon"

WIKI says, that the Maroilles has a long and nice aftertaste - must check, if I can get it here.

The worst cheese I ever had was a Scandinavian "old cheese" ("gammel ost") - that stuff perfectly etched

away all and any taste buds from your tongue, and all membranes from the inside of your mouth and throat.

After that you could eat whatever you wanted - it tasted all the same: like nothing.

I bet you could strip off old paint from old doors with that stuff, or cauterize holes into concrete floors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroilles_cheese

Edited by Olham