In the stock SF2 Vietnam game, any carrier-capable plane is automatically assigned to a carrier in "Single Mission." You do a CAP and at mission end you need to land on the carrier.

In this China terrain, I want it to work the same way. I've set NavalMap=True. I edited the water map with green (carrier operating?) areas. There's carriers in the groundobject folder for the right nation. 

What else do I need to do?

make sure you have 2 CV zones -- one for each side

then, test fly

remove the one at the top -- it's behind The Wall

and where are the PLAN surface action groups supposed to spawn??? Like I said above, you need one for each side

Well, this is China 1937. Chiang Kai-Shek is still in charge, so no PLAN exists yet. There's no real need for Chinese vessels to spawn.

Still, if I wanted to create an operating area for an opposing side, how would I indicate that on the map? I used the Vietnam map below as my template. I only see green CV areas.

post-26185-0-66887000-1453303522.jpg

look at any of mine that a naval map capable, or extract the IcelandNA_water.bmp  You can match the color from that

I added the other color for opposing units. I had also updated ship's DATA.ini files for older years than 1941. Turns out I had to update the dates in the ship names list as well. This is working the way I want now. Thanks for the assist!

NP, brudda!

don't forget, the Gulf of Siam would be a Japanese lake, as they launched the Malayan invasion from the region (with Thailand as their ally). Laos, Cambodia, and both Vietnams would be neutral, as they're all (Vichy) French Indo-china

Well, not exactly neutral, but up until 1943-ish when Imperial forces told the French they were taking over.

The VNSEA map is exceedingly poor for this, unless one is trying to replicate the Franco-Thai war of 40-41. Even with minimal naval action (coastal and riverine perhaps?)  It's just too small

Woops, hang on. Unfortunately, the ships are not spawning out at sea. How do I fix this?

Kinda cool-looking, but I'd rather avoid it:

post-26185-0-24028800-1453388095_thumb.jpg

Current Water Map looks like this.

post-26185-0-46108000-1453388077.jpg

Here's a shot of a mission planning map. Is the issue related to red Frontline?

post-26185-0-30483400-1453388128_thumb.jpg

that happens on a LOT of 'user made" naval maps; I've been trying to figure out why for the last 3 years!!

(OTH, perhaps it's trying to replicate Elric's "ship(s) that sail over land and sea"?

Haha! A pretty neat trick to be sure. An aircraft carrier that goes literally anywhere.

Any chance this is related to the frontline I see on the planning map? Maybe if that was moved?