Sign in to follow this  
subarug

Incredible Harrier FLight Demo Footage

Really nice, thanks for the link subarug!

Specially interesting to see the two Sea Harrier's facing each other in hover (at about 7min30segs of video up to the end). A pity that the Sea Harrier will be withdraw next year.

Yes I thought that part was beautiful...it was like two planes in a street fight, a dangerous dance..... I will miss the Sea Harrier.... I know its not the bad boy anymore but there is something about the original that I like so much more over the McDonnell Douglass Versions.... I cant put my finger on it but they are just more aestheticly pleasing to me.

Yes I thought that part was beautiful...it was like two planes in a street fight, a dangerous dance..... I will miss the Sea Harrier.... I know its not the bad boy anymore but there is something about the original that I like so much more over the McDonnell Douglass Versions.... I cant put my finger on it but they are just more aestheticly pleasing to me.

The Sea Harrier is the only one with air-to-air role, a good radar (Blue Vixen), and it's faster than the McDonnnell Douglas versions (well, it is 'less slow' :) ) I'm sure the airframes and the avionics (specially the radar) are too new to just be retired next year (we all know, it was just a political decision), they probably will be sold to Indian Navy or even brazilian navy, who only has a couple of A-G only modernized Skyhawks in the Foch carrier bought from France and needs a real fleet defender aircraft (Hornets and Su-33s don't fit in the tight carrier's elevators, navalized MiG-29 or Sea Harriers are the answer).

Well I can't speak for Brazil, but the Indians are getting the "Admiral Gorshkov"* and upgraded Mig-29K's

I've not really looked into it but I imagine the Rafale could operate from the Sao Paulo given that it is about the same size as an Etandard yet has much more powerful engines, so perhaps the Brazilians might consider it.

* The Gorshkov, a Kiev class aircraft carrying cruiser, is being overhalled, removal of weapons systems from infront of the island ,the installation of a lauch ramp similar to that of the Kuznetzov and arrestor gear. The ship will be known as the INS Vikramaditya.

The Sea Harrier is the only one with air-to-air role, a good radar (Blue Vixen), and it's faster than the McDonnnell Douglas versions (well, it is 'less slow' :) )  I'm sure the airframes and the avionics (specially the radar) are too new to just be retired next year (we all know, it was just a political decision), they probably will be sold to Indian Navy or even brazilian navy, who only has a couple of A-G only modernized Skyhawks in the Foch carrier bought from France and needs a real fleet defender aircraft (Hornets and Su-33s don't fit in the tight carrier's elevators, navalized MiG-29 or Sea Harriers are the answer).

We can only hope.Look at how many times the A-10 was going to be axed...but nothing really did the job better and the F-16s we just too fragile.Now the only thing that scares me is we all know the Tomcat is a great plabe with great features but when they axed it man did they axe it. You can already see F-18s with Jolly Rodgers markings. I only hope at least a few BAE Sea Harriers stay with the RN.

Really amazing... Wonderfull video. Thanks for sharing Subarug.

India is upgrading their Sea Harriers with the israeli Elta EL/M-2032 radar and the Derby BVR missile:

"New Delhi, 05 June 2005 - A total of 14 Sea Harrier FRS51 will be updated, fitting these with Rafael Derby/Alto Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missiles (BVRAAM) in tandem with Elta EL/M 2032 radars. Combat manoeuvring flight recorders and digital cockpit voice recorders will be added. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) at Bangalore will carry out the upgrade. The upgradation was long overdue as the original combination of non-coherent pulse ‘Blue Fox’ radar and Magic 2 Within Visual Range Air-to-Air Missiles (WVRAAM) combination was critically inadequate in dealing with emerging threats in the Indian Ocean region. The upgradation of the Sea Harriers may also send a tacit signal that the Navy may be interested in the Royal Navy Command Cruiser HMS Invincible facing premature decommissioning and is capable of providing a robust Afloat Naval Headquarters useful for distant and amphibious operations."(...) Read more