Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

GunnerAimOffset AI Parameter

Does anyone happen to know how the GunnerAimOffset parameter works in FE2?

I have seen values for this ranging from 0.0050 to 12.000. The first one, 0.0050, seems to be the default. Can anyone advise on the effects of these values, where do they make a gunner's bullets "go" in relation to the target? In other words, is a high number "good" or "bad"?

Taking these thoughts further, in SF2 the default GunnerAimOffset is 0.050 for modern types, while some SF2 WW2 conversions seem to use 0.0050. If, as some suspect, this parameter affects the amount of deflection applied by a gunner to his moving target, then clearly the deflection appropriate to a modern target, or even to a WW2 target, would be quite inappropriate for a WW1 target.

Thoughts anyone?

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

It's possible that that value means "offset for moving target" - my guess anyway but now that you mention it, the value does require testing. The value of 0.0050 that you've given is the defaul value under the aidata section of data inis for many of the add-on planes for FE/FE2. Most of the stock data inis lack the gunneraimoffset value, which is then determined by the game itself. I "think" that FE2's default value for this is 0.050.

I'm getting some good (but rare) deflection shots from the AI using my tweaked general aircraftaidata file that carries the offset value of 0.080 and the following cannon fire angles per dogfight skill level:

novice

CannonFireAngle=10

green

CannonFireAngle=12

regular

CannonFireAngle=16

veteran

CannonFireAngle=20

ace

CannonFireAngle=24

The offset value of 12 that you've also included is probably too high - something in the range of 0.0050 to 1.000 should be where most experiments take place. I will test with offsets of 1.0, 0.5, 0.05, and 0.005 to see if there are any major differences - will comment after testing.

Happy flying,

Von S 

• Like 1

Hello fellow FE2 flyers,

Further testing of the GunnerAimOffset parameter in the general aircraft ai ini file has led me to the following conclusion:

The default value of 0.05 is half-way between lowest accuracy for aim offset, and highest accuracy in offset.

While there are other factors at work, testing in one-on-one dogfights between a Fokk. E.IIa and Nieu. 16 Vickers for example has given me the following impressions:

With values of 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, etc., for aim offset, the AI has trouble hitting me with deflection or side shots when it is further than about 200-300 meters away. The default value of 0.05 gives mixed results. Values of about 0.07, 0.08, also 0.09, give much better hit rate for the AI in side/deflection shots that happen when they are more than about 300 meters away. A value of 0.1 should, theoretically, give the most accurate deflection shots but I'm getting better results in the 0.07-0.09 range. Will therefore leave my offset value at 0.08 in the general aircraft ai ini file.

I did tests at values of 0.005, 0.001 too, and found that deflection shots were about as inaccurate at further distances as a value of 0.01 would give. Tests at high numbers, of about 2.000, 5.000, also 10.000, were no more accurate than at a value of 0.1 - and usually worse than the "golden" range of 0.07 to 0.09.

So, we have:

0.01 - lowest accuracy when offsetting for deflection/side shots

0.05 - default value, gives varied results

0.07-0.09 - best accuracy when offsetting for deflection (especially at 300+ meters distances)

0.1 - theoretical max. for best accuracy but gives flaky results

Happy flying,

Von S

Many thanks for the analysis VonS,

I'm now using a GunnerAimOffset setting of 0.080, which is giving good results. Gunners rarely (very rarely) shoot down a target, or even cause noticeable damage, though it can happen. However they do often make the target take evasive action or even break off altogether which I find quite realistic.

If we're right that this parameter affects the gunner's deflection shooting, then a figure of 12.0 instead of 0.08 meant that the gunner was in effect aiming 150 times further ahead than he should of been aiming. Put another way, if the target's airspeed was 100kt , then the gunner's aim was being offset for an assumed target airspeed of 15,000kt...     that's about 8 times faster than an SR-71 going at full chat...       

Thanks Again

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that the analysis of the offset numbers has helped you out with the AI settings. Yes, I'm also getting good evasive action from the AI using the 0.08 value, and some great deflection shots that, while not always deadly, do chew up a piece of my elevator or rudder if I'm not careful in dogfights.

I think your analysis of the numbers is correct - there was something strange with the large figures for the offsets that I noticed in some of the data inis, with assumed target speeds in excess of an SR-71 as you put it.

The correct range for offset values from what I could study is between 0.01 and 0.1. Anything outside those numbers will lead to unhistorical results in FE2.

Happy flying,

Von S