Sign in to follow this  
Bodcap8

ZELL (Zero-Length Launch system)

I've cobbled together some SAM-Launchers to use as ZELL ramps.  Right now, I can only get them to work if I designate them as 'Warships" in the Ground Objects DATA.INI.  Still pretty cool though !img00025.thumb.JPG.93d1f3353b2dcadb0e8e4792aa113066.JPGimg00007.thumb.JPG.af2f2e13f33ec2bb91f9eb2d52966792.JPGimg00012.thumb.JPG.92e4bee1043bf13c996aba4a024bf8fd.JPGimg00033.thumb.JPG.e2a4f7dc572e60fa29f439c22a685319.JPG

img00030.JPG

For anyone interested in experimenting and improving this system, here's what I have done , so far, for the Western version;

1- In GroundObjects, I created a new folder and named it 'ZELL Take-Off Launcher'.

2- I copied everything from within the 'CIM-10_Launcher' folder over to my newly created folder.  (FULL CREDITS TO WHOMEVER CREATED THE CIM-10_LAUNCHER !!!)

3- In the new 'ZELL Take-Off Launcher' folder only change the names of the two (.INI) files to 'ZELL Take-Off Launcher' and 'ZELL Take-Off Launcher_DATA', and delete the CIM-10A_USERLIST.  Don't change anything else.

4- Then, here's what I have so far, inside the ZELL Take-Off Launcher(.INI) file:

[GroundObjectData]
ObjectFullName=ZELL Take-Off Launcher
ObjectDataFile=ZELL Take-Off Launcher_data.ini

[LOD001]
Filename=CIM-10_Launcher.LOD
Distance=500

[LOD002]
Filename=CIM-10_Launcher-001.LOD
Distance=10000

[Shadow]
CastShadow=TRUE
ShadowLOD=CIM-10_Launcher.shd
ShadowType=1
ShadowCastDist=500
MaxVisibleDistance=500

[TextureSet001]
Directory=Basic
Name=Basic
Nation=USAF
Specular=0.300000
Glossiness=0.850000
Reflection=0.000000

5- And inside the ZELL Take-Off Launcher_DATA (.INI) file;

[MissionData]
NationName=USN
ServiceStartYear=1954
ServiceEndYear=1970
GroundObjectRole=WARSHIP
Availability=RARE
FormationSizeBase=1
FormationSizeVariation=0

[GroundObjectData]
DamagedModel=
DestroyedModel=CIM-10_Launcher/CIM-10_Launcher_Destroyed.LOD
DestroyedEffect=
EmptyMass=15000.00
Component[001]=Structure

[WeaponSystem]
MaxPitch=12.0
MinPitch=10.0
DefaultPitchAngle=12.0
YawAngleRate=0.00
YawLimited=TRUE
MinYaw=-180
MaxYaw=180
DefaultYawAngle=-180
YawModelNodeName=Erector_base
PitchModelNodeName=Erector_Arm

[Structure]
ModelNodeName=Slab
MaxExtentPosition= 21,27.1,15.0
MinExtentPosition=-21,-6.7,9.00
HasArmor=TRUE
DamagePoint=70.0
ArmorValue=24516080.0
ArmorType=2
SystemName[001]=Deck
SystemName[002]=Cat1

[Deck]
SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK
StartPosition=0.00,2.25,1.95
EndPosition=0.00,-33.50,5.94
FlightDeckWidth=10.0
CollisionMesh=FlightDeck
PitchAngleRate=0.00
MaxPitch=12.0
MinPitch=10.0
DefaultPitchAngle=12.0

[Cat1]
SystemType=CATAPULT
CatapultID=1
StartPosition=0.00,2.00,1.95
EndPosition=0.00,-31.00,5.50
PitchAngleRate=0.00
MaxPitch=12.0
MinPitch=10.0
DefaultPitchAngle=12.0
LaunchTime=0.90
LaunchEffect=JATOSOVIET
CatapultEffect=
ReadyAnimationID=7
ReadyAnimationTime=2.0

Edited by Bodcap8

As I stated in my opening post, this system is experimental. I have only been able to get it to work as a WARSHIP. It can be used in missions and assigned up to 4-aircraft (just like a carrier) but of course it's unpowered so no waypoint assignments. For now, I just place it in water and drag it as close to shore as possible for more realism. Assign aircraft to take-off from this launcher but land at an airfield.

Any aircraft you wish to use on this launch system must have the following lines in their DATA.INI's;  under [MissionData]  CarrierBased=TRUE  and under [AircraftData]  OnGroundPitchEffect=10.0 (experiment with the Pitch value as some aircraft just explode on the ramp if the angle is too great).

Some of the entries in 'ZELL Take-Off Launcher_DATA' may not be needed and can be modified or maybe even deleted (it's still a work in-progress).  However, some entries are critical to system/aircraft launch performance and should only be modified at the users risk !

I've used the JATOSOVIET LaunchEffect for the catapult to simulate rocket take-off effects (rather than try to include rockets on every aircraft) but it fires continuously while the aircraft sit on the ramp. Can someone tell me how to rewrite the JATOSOVIET Effects file or the [Cat1] so the rocket only fires when the catapult launches ?

Have fun/experiment/play with this launch system and please post any idea's or improvements !!!

Further to the above post.

I am not a Modder, just a 'tweaker' (and I have limited experience at that).  I can't create 3D models, skins etc..   So, one of the reasons I am posting my ZELL Launcher to the community is in the hope that some real Modder's would take interest and create a more realistic Zero-Length Launch system. With some expert input I think we could have a system that, while bordering on the "what if" category, could still be used as a very fun and worthwhile addition to 1950's-1960's missions!

Here's some questions/requests/thoughts on a better ZELL:

1.- Is there any possible way to rewrite DATA.INI's or combine the ZELL as Objects/Weapons/Guns to create a launch system similar to mine that would be 'Land-Placeable' (instead of a WARSHIP) and still allow the AI to recognize it as an aircraft launcher which could be placed on any mission map and be assigned at least one functioning AI aircraft ?

2.- If 'NO' to question #1, could an experienced Modder design a flat-decked unpowered barge with two ZELL launch-ramps, clamshell weather covers and a small radar/launch tower?  The launch-ramps should be orientated to 'shoot' the aircraft off the beam of the barge.    This 'ZELL Barge' would be recognized by the games AI just like an unpowered Aircraft Carrier with 2-assignable aircraft and could be placed, at will, on Mission Maps that allow shipping.

3.- If the 'ZELL Barge' files could be written to only allow assignment of the aircraft types that were actually used in Cold War tests (F-84G, F-100D, F-104G, MIG-19/SM) that would add even more realism !

Thanks in advance for any input from the community.

Edited by Bodcap8