Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

Why I Am Insistent On Modern Computers/Gfx Cards

Today, I installed BoB II (Wings of Victory) into my Win 10 computer, along with a specific patch which is intended to allow running the game on win 10.  It seems (with some little investigation) to have allowed the game to run properly.

Why am I posting this here, in an EAW forum?  Because the fundamental lessons learned are valuable ones, and pertain to EAW users.

When I investigated the Graphics settings within the game on the win 10 computer, the game had set almost all the Gfx settings on the maximum level possible.  When I compared these same game-set settings to my very inferior Win 7 computer, I found that quite a few Gfx settings could not be set to max, and some not near max.   Comparing the same game, win 7 versus win 10, revealed that the game looked MUCH better and played at least as well in Win 10.

This is the second experience I have had in playing old games suitably modified for playing on Win 10.  See my posts here about Crimson Skies game.  This is the second--of two--old games that I have successfully installed into Win 10, and which games looked and played a LOT better than in Win 7.

Now, the fundamental point to all this IS NOT that the games be able to be played on Win 10.  That is another, important issue; Another topic.

What IS pertinent is that my win 10 machine has a fairly modern CPU, a fairly modern Graphics card, and is running on SSDs.

Since my Win 7 machine also runs on SSDs, and has a decent, but ancient, Core 2 Duo CPU, and a vintage Nvidia GT 730 Gfx card, and since the Gfx features on this computer are relatively limited vice the Win 10 computer, I have come to some tentative conclusions.

On the Win 10 computer, either the vastly better CPU (8th Gen I7), and/or the equally, and vastly better Nvidia 2060 OC PRO Gfx card allow the inherent Gfx features to become available to the user.  Even on these vintage games.  Obviously the Win 7 computer, as configured, disallows many Gfx features, and the Win 10 computer allows such.  I don't know the point in-between these two end points wherein lies the "sweet spot", but I reckon that "spot" is moving upwards, all the time. in order to accommodate modern games. 

That said, Win 7 computer users might want to investigate whether or not their CPU can be upgraded to a more modern one, and whether their Gfx card can be upgraded.  Gfx card major upgrade will probably involve a Power Supply Unit (PSU) upgrade.  Your old Win 7 computer might, or might not, be able to be upgraded to a point where the Gfx features of these old games will be accessible.

The physical dimensions/configuration of your existing win 7 computer is a factor.  My Win 7 computer is a Small Form Factor, and thus quite limited in the allowable upgrades to its components.  Those having much larger computers, such as tower computers, might find upgrading of various components much easier.

In sum, the fairly decent Win 7 computer I have is upgraded to its' max.  It's old, and if the CPU fails, it is not replaceable, since it is permanently attached to the MoBo.  My win 10 computer runs all vintage games that I can find/install at full-on Gfx settings, and that difference is VERY apparent while looking at the monitor.  The win 10 computer has never stuttered even with IL-2 with fill-on Gfx settings.   With some games, the enabling of ALL inherent Gfx features has been visually stunning.  Other games a detectable improvement.

.So, even if staying within the win 7 universe, consider upgrading your existing computer to handle FAR better CPUs and FAR better Gfx cards.    I suggest some investigating at the following, as they are quite objective, and pull no punches: https://www.tomshardware.com/ 

Based on my personal experiences with games formerly played on Win 7 system, and the same games being played on Win 10 system, the difference in the visual results can be dramatic.   It goes without saying that with the modern Gfx card 'stuttering" is a thing of the past. I attribute most of this to the modern Gfx card, which the new Power Supply allows,  Your Win 7 system, intelligently upgraded, can give you visual results, and frame rates, heretofore unobtainable.  

Submitted for your consideration.

• Like 1

I would add one thing, since editing of the above post is no longer allowed.

It is completely understandable why many modders construct their mods to be compatible with older computers.  I get that.

However, such construction of mods/depictions perhaps limits users of more modern computers and Gfx cards, particularly those using greatly upgraded Win 7 computers and modern Gfx cards.  Is it possible to construct mods/features to be useful to both users of legacy computers, and also be fully available to users of more modern computers?

I understand that I, as a mere User, am asking the Mdders to undertake an additional burden.   I also understand that there are certain, inherent limitations within the platform/coding.

Still, a question un-asked is a question that will never be answered.

Submitted for consideration 

Further addition, posted elsewhere:  

To continue, the following is a link that is concerned with stress-testing computers:  https://www.pcworld.com/article/2028882/keep-it-stable-stupid-how-to-stress-test-your-pc-hardware.html
Performing such tests will reveal weak points in one's computer, and if such are present, will also suggest possible improvements.  Such might be as elementary as simple wire-re-routing to provide better cooling air flow, perhaps the installation of additional fans are required, or even liquid cooling.
A very basic evaluation of one's Power Supply Unit is to connect an in-line $20 "Kill-A-Watt" meter to your computer's power cord, and then run your most demanding game, with everything set to the max.  If your wattage draw is no more than 90% of the max wattage output of your PSU, you should be OK.  The max output wattage of your PSU will be written somewhere on it.  Rely on no other figure other than what is printed on your PSU.
The "Kill-A-Watt" meter is an essential tool for those who wish to know which devices use how much power, and when such power is consumed.  Sometimes surprising sources of energy wastage can be discovered.  The "Kill-A-Watt meter is a very useful tool.