I want to reduce AAA (and SAMs) in a campaign, to very little. One piece or less per target. Campaign set in 1979.

I have tried removing all the AAA and SAMS from the terrain _TARGETS file. But AAA seems to spawn by itself event though there are no AAA placed in the terrain. Also tried removing AAA and SAMs from the _TYPES file of the terrain, but no luck.

In the campaign data file tried adjusting StartAirDefenseLevel= to both 0 and 1, but still AAA spawns.

Tried removing all AAA from the GroundObject folder, but the sim then draws from the default file I assume.

I seem to have found the problem. In an attempt to avoid the heavy AAA I  had entered a BTR-ZU-23 in the _TYPES.INI so I could place it with TargetAreaEditor. Removed it from the TYPES.INI and AAA only appear where I placed it in the terrain.

Rule #1: You never fuck with the targets ini

Rule#2: You never fuck with the types ini. THIS especially!

Unless you're a pro at terraforming, best course is to change nothing. When we build terrains, we do things as historically correct as possible, even to the point of placing specific units in EXACT locations. Although, TK has screwed us over by breaking the 'direct called" units. Doing so makes them go 'stealty' and they won't show on the RWR. Especially TEWS. So, by using the random tags (AAA, SAM_RADAR, SAM_Launcher, EWR) one is left hope the userlist (for SAM/Radar) will keep them associated with their own networked units. The same goes for networked AAA units.

The level (amount) of air defense units can be changed on your screen. While I'm sure this may only effect single missions, i'm sure there's a line somewhere in the campaign ini that allows you to change the % level of AD units. Messing with the targets ini is the last thing one should do.

menu.JPG

• Like 1

By modding (or messing if you like) I have modded your Central America Terrain into a little Nicaragua Sandinista CIA covert operations scenario. Target ini especially heavy modded as all the action takes place in the Mountains over Nicaragua and Honduras. Needed less AAA as I start out flying the O-2A. Not realistic. Never meant to be.

The Central America Terrain is great. Especially after getting in the Green Hell 3.5 tiles to work with it.

For personal use only, I hope, and not for release. I have a very strict policy about others modding my terrains. 

• Like 1

Stricktly for personal use :) But perhaps you should consider doing a proper adaptation with the Green Hell 3.5 tiles? There are two or three tiles that are not in the GH35 set. But also some issues around objects on the tiles that I ran into. I am no terraforming guru, so doing it proper may be a lot more work than I imagine.

Any way thanks for a lot of great terrains! :)

• Thanks 1

Yes, it really DOES need a better tile set. Also a better elevation map (HFD). I just wish the game supported the way the Canal actually is, instead of the cheat I had to use. The terrain engine is sooooooooo limited .....