Sign in to follow this  
catch

Se5a Lewis - fire separately from Vickers?

Heard it before, but always worth listening to again... thanks mate!

Indeed. Well worth another listen. And yes I've said it before but what an amazing life and man was Cecil Lewis. And of course the magnificent Se5a. I've often wondered how it's performance would have fared if they'd re-engineered it to mount twin Vickers on the cowling when the Brits finally got a reasonably reliable synchronizing mechanism? Of course, it was not to be, there was a war on and money was tight and it was a case of use what you've got lads. And she wasn't a bad kite anyway.

Remember the Sopwith Dolphin ? It had, in addition to the 2 forward-firing Vickers MGs, a single fixed Lewis MG firing OVER the arc of the Dolphin propeller blade.

If you look at a profile picture of the Dolphin, you can see that the Lewis is pointing aboug 45 degrees upward:

I'm thinking that if we can get the Devs to program a flyable Dolphin for WOFF, then an offshoot of that would be an upward firing gun for the Nieuports and the SE5a. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone, if you get my drift.

image.png

7 hours ago, CastelEtzwane said:

I'm thinking that if we can get the Devs to program a flyable Dolphin for WOFF, then an offshoot of that would be an upward firing gun for the Nieuports and the SE5a. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone, if you get my drift.

I do get your drift and I like it. :wink: