JohnWick75

Technical issues - New player

Hello,

I'm brand new to this series and I purchased my first module, Wings over the Reich to see how the engine would run for me.  I'm very impressed with the game so far but I have a couple of technical issues I need to sort out.  First off, I can't seem to get the game to lock in at 60 fps.  I've tried setting it on either Vsync or Driver controlled.  I have the fps locked to 60 fps in my Nvidia driver controller for WOTR exe but absolutely nothing changes in game it just goes to my max refresh of 144 and bounces up and down.  I'm trying to avoid too many frame drops.  Any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, I wanted to know if there is a way to adjust graphical settings outside of the game in a config file or something.  I'm not really a graphics whore and I know the game is based on a modified old engine but what I'm finding annoying is the pop-in.  I have draw distance and draw speed set to the max but I'm still seeing pop in such as clouds and buildings which is quite jarring at times.  I'd like to get these issues sorted out before I buy any further DLC or the WOFF.  Thanks for any assistance.

My system:

Windows 11 64bit

I9 13900k, RTX 4080, 32g DDR5, 2T SSD, 34 inch Ultrawide in 2k.

Posted (edited)

Hallo @JohnWick75,

please read the FAQ, page 33 till page 37, point 13. Maybe it can help.

Then I recommend also the Tuner-patch (enhancement-patch) by @VonS here: Other Tweaks for WoFFue/pe/bh&h2/WoTR1&2 - WOFF UE/PE - File Announcements - CombatACE

With the patch you can increase the fps significantly.

And here is a useful thread on SimHQ about this theme:

Anyone playing this anymore? - SimHQ Forums

Greetings

Edited by Becker02
  • Like 1

Hi Becker,

Thanks for the reply but I have read through all of those things to no avail.  I have a top of the line system and fps is not the issue.  I can get 160 fps at times with everything cranked, in fact controlling fps down to 60 or 70 seems to be impossible unless I want to change my Nvidia global settings to 60 everytime I play.  Locking it to 60 as an individual setting doesn’t work.  My issue is the lag and micro-stutter.  I’ve spent hours now playing with the settings and going down or up doesn’t change the stutter or the pop-in for that matter.  The game will fly smooth as silk until a dogfight starts and then the stutter starts.  I see the exact same thing happening in many of the YouTube videos I’ve watched but I had thought they just had weaker systems.

I was also hoping there was a config file setting that I could tweak to get better draw distance and draw speed.

I need to figure this out before I purchase anything else for this series.

Thanks.

I should have added that the Tuner did help to smooth things out a bit.

Welcome JohnWick75,  WOTR is more demanding that WOFF generally, there are various tips in the FAQ for example section 13 if you want to smooth things some.
CPU is very much more important and the main core raw speed, perhaps try freeing up cores by limiting background apps or assigning them away from CPU 0/1.