Sign in to follow this  
Quax

What does the GIB do?

What exactly does the guy in the rear seat of the Phantom do?

He seems to play no part whatsoever in SFP1 missions (I don't

have WoV). I suppose he's some sort of "radar" operator and

so I pretend to myself that the female "AWACS" operator is him

(navigating and giving directions to target or "major threats").

Is that even close to reality?

What exactly does the guy in the rear seat of the Phantom do?

He seems to play no part whatsoever in SFP1 missions (I don't

have WoV). I suppose he's some sort of "radar" operator and

so I pretend to myself that the female "AWACS" operator is him

(navigating and giving directions to target or "major threats").

Is that even close to reality?

Hi Quax,

Well, with a bit over 2,000 hours in various models of the F-4, I think I can answer your question. The backseater in Phantoms played several very important roles in achieving mission success. Known in the USAF as Weapon Systems Operator (WSO) and the USN/USMC as Radar Intercept Officer (RIO), the guy-in-back (or GIB) was responsible for the following: ran virtually all radar intercepts (the F-4 radar was not automated as most modern fighter radars are); handled most navigation; handled normal radio comms; was responsible for the RHAW (Radar Homing and Warning) gear, and in general took a huge load off the pilot.

This was important in the F-r because the workload could get pretty intense due to the lack of modern systems automation. For example, the radar was pretty complex. The only automatic target acquisition in the radar occured in Boresight Mode and was used mainly during close-in dogfights ("knifefights" as we laughingly called them). During dogfights, the GIB's eyes were mainly used outside the cockpit to help keep track of the bad guys visually...and believe me, that was one of the most important roles the GIB had. An extra set of eyes in a dogfight is worth more than you can imagine. In fact, the really great GIBs could literally "talk" pilots through defensive maneuvers, thus saving their butts when the bad guy had saddled up on you.

I had the honor and privelege to fly with some of the best GIBs in the world, in actual combat and advanced combat training, and those guys were worth much more than their weight in gold...or platinum or diamonds for that matter. When you owe your life to the guy sitting behind you, you realize just how much he's worth.

Your question comes at a particularly emotional time for me, however, because the best GIB I ever knew passed away recently at 56 from lymphoma. Mike "Mini" Mott was the best there ever was and he will be missed. (Google "Mike Mott" if you wish - he had a great career and was with NASA for a long time and with Boeing when he died.)

Hope this answers your question...the GIB, whether called the WSO or RIO, was an integral part of the Phantom team and no good F-4 pilot would ever argue that point.

Regards,

Wags

Female AWACs controller? :)

If you're referring to "RedCrown", that's traditionally a ship-borne controller. Perform a Google search on "Red Crown, PIRAZ" -

So what role does he play in Wings over Vietnam or SFP1?.. Unfortunately, none that I can see.

Edited by Hengist

Guest Saganuay82

"Redcrown" in game you can interface some information though the radio commands. Look under TACC I think it is.

He will tell you bearing and range to your primary target and a steer to your base. He will never send help to you. He is limited in that over 50 miles away is "50 miles". Under that its 5 mile increments.

For some reason, Redcrown has no radar or he would be able to see the bandits or bogeys that are your flightlevel and less than 10 miles from you.

He has his problems for sure and its the limits of the AI. Also a limit of the speech files in game. You look in the folder and you will see things that he can say but doesn't.

As for the GIB / RIO, I think a pit builder could do something about that. It would mean for a Phantom say that another whole rear seat pit would have to be built and a new view mapped to it. Same as key F1 takes you to your front seat, lets say SHIFT + F1 would take you to your rear seat. You could have a radar display back there and whatever else. You could do your long range engagements from the back and then once merged switch to pilot and dogfight.