Sign in to follow this  
Eagle114th

Afterburner Effect Improvement

Hello everyone, I have decided to start modding SF2 by altering and improving afterburner for both default aircraft and add-on aircraft for SF2 series. What motivated me was when I installed Sr-71A Blackbird add-on aircraft for SF2, I realized that there are no afterburner for that Sr-71A, it lead me into researching about how afterburner effect work in SF2. That is when I realized I could change or replace an existing afterburner with new afterburner effect, so I swapped Afterburner with new effect from mod pack for SF2, then I re-sized and position it right into engine of both Sr-71A's exhaust pipe from their engines. This is my result of my first time doing basic effect modding:

img00625d.jpg

img00624k.jpg

img00623.jpg

And now I have a goal, learn how to crate my own afterburner from stretch as first step before doing any further modding. Is there any programs that any of you would highly recommend me to install for effect development for SF2? That is where I need advices from experienced modders of SF2. If any of you want me to upload updated Sr-71_DATA.ini (I will only upload Sr-71_DATA.ini, not model of Sr-71, in order, to respect Capun team's policy), I am willing to upload these updated data.ini so anyone can enjoy these new effects.

Chaoic out...

This is first my attempt to improve an existing Tu-22 afterburner effects, after altering/changing/enhancing tga files from combo effect pack for SF2 (by Ryan Crierie "MKSheppard") for now, until I learn how to create my own afterburner texture. (I still am awaiting for advices from mdoders about which software is best for creating texture/effects).

This is original Strike Fighter 2 Tu-22B Blinder-A afterburner:

img00643.jpg

Picture of Tu-22M taking off where it revealed the color of afterburner:

(Source: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Tupolev-Tu-22M-3/1789764/L/)

1789764.jpg

This is improved, new afterburner of Tu-22B Blinder-A:

img00020q.jpg

Chaoic out...

The best effect would be one that calculates burner plume length by speed-IE MiG-25 at Mach 1.5 or above has 100 foot long burner plume at night, which brings me to my second point. On most aircraft, the burner plume isnt all that visible during the day unless its cloudy. Some engines, like the F-110 burn hotter than a standard F-100 so the color is diferent-F-110s being mostly deep Orange/red to bluish purple at night. F-100s are yellowish during the day to whitish blue at night. This is a debated topic but we all know there is no standard burner plume that is the same throughout.

The best thing i would like to see is a plume based on speed-I wanna see a 50 foot plume coming out of my F-14 when I buzz the carrier at mach 1.07 in the late afternoon. Anyone know of a mod that does this?

nice modifications, however...keep in mind that Tu-22 Blinder and Tu-22M Backfire are two completely different aircraft...there is a backfire hosted @CA , its usin an F-15 Afterburner IIRC, you could do the changes on it !

nice modifications, however...keep in mind that Tu-22 Blinder and Tu-22M Backfire are two completely different aircraft...there is a backfire hosted @CA , its usin an F-15 Afterburner IIRC, you could do the changes on it !

That is true, and the reason why I did these afterburner improvement to Tu-22 is because I have notice that modern bomber of Russian, such as Tu-22M and Tu-160 creates blue afterburner during take off. And I am still searching for Tu-22 pictures or videos of afterburner, so for now, I thought I would change their engine to match these engine colors as my practice and experience gaining of doing afterburner improvement.

And oh, I will certainly check these Tu-22M add-on mod for SF2 and when I do effect improvement, I will post screenshot here.

Eagle out...

The best effect would be one that calculates burner plume length by speed-IE MiG-25 at Mach 1.5 or above has 100 foot long burner plume at night, which brings me to my second point. On most aircraft, the burner plume isnt all that visible during the day unless its cloudy. Some engines, like the F-110 burn hotter than a standard F-100 so the color is diferent-F-110s being mostly deep Orange/red to bluish purple at night. F-100s are yellowish during the day to whitish blue at night. This is a debated topic but we all know there is no standard burner plume that is the same throughout.

The best thing i would like to see is a plume based on speed-I wanna see a 50 foot plume coming out of my F-14 when I buzz the carrier at mach 1.07 in the late afternoon. Anyone know of a mod that does this?

There is no mods that I know of that would do these new special effects of F-14 afterburner doing that. That is exactly why I am learning how to work on afterburner in first place. It is my goal to improve afterburner effects to give SF2 more immerse experiences. But I am doing it in small steps a time, merging my time with university. The first step I ever did was adding a new effect into SR-71A and I achieved that. The next is to create new afterburner based on existing .TGA file and change color/tweak glowing setting on .tga picture itself where I used them for Tu-22 afterburner effect. Now the next thing I will be doing is learn how to tweak afterburner properties through .ini dancing and I am still seeking for tutorial on these effect .ini editing. After I mastered that, I will try my best to figure out how to make afterburner glowing more intensively at night and make afterburner go longer based on speed.

Your comments about how afterburners work based on speed and day/night/cloudy is interesting and helpful to me for my plans for afterburner improvement work.

:good:

Chaoic out...

New update on my new afterburner improvement.

Tu-22 Afterburner at night

img00021d.jpg

img00022q.jpg

img00023s.jpg

img00024r.jpg

img00025z.jpg

New F-105Ds afterburners (replaced default purple afterburner with different afterburner)

(Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/F-105_Thunderchief_left_rear_view.jpg)

F-105_Thunderchief_left_rear_view.jpg

1111lc.jpg

Eagle out...

Edited by Eagle114th

I am currently exploring more about how Afterburner work in SF2. Default F-16 afterburner look too weak in graphic and doesn't look much like real F-16 afterburner (Please keep in mind, I am very thankful for great SF2 series simulation with hard works done by TK and his team. It is my great goal to improve his simulation into greater level with new effects.). So I have decided to improve F-16A afterburner, and this is default F-16A Afterburner:

old1y.jpg

old2x.jpg

img00654.jpg

(Source: http://www.fas.org/m...afterburner.jpg)

f-16-afterburner.jpg

This is new Afterburner for F-16A, and this new afterburner still have much more room for further improvement. I am working on figuring out how to create a longer version of this afterburner in length and decrease their glowing light range for outside area of afterburner before doing any further improvements.

(Source: http://www.kbvp.com/...por.preview.jpg)

Up%20the%20Burner%20and%20Vapor.preview.jpg

(Source: http://farm2.static...._80518d77da.jpg)

849027602_80518d77da.jpg

new1hk.jpg

new2hw.jpg

new3w.jpg

new4nd.jpg

Eagle out...

Edited by Eagle114th

It look like I have managed to figure out how to do 2 things:

1) scale the length of afterburner (Still adjusting afterburner and is not even done yet)

2) Make afterburner go longer based on speed!

I still need to adjust the proper light from engine because, from what I have seen in several sources (videos and picture), even from intense glowing afterburner, it doesn't give much light outside of jet afterburner, so i will reduce the 'light range" that afterburner product while increasing the 'intensive' amount of glowing inside afterburner during night.

Here is screenshots of my further progress on F-16's new afterburner and please note the speed at lower left corner:

img00014dg.jpg

img00015wu.jpg

img00016s.jpg

img00017b.jpg

Eagle out...

I have spend alot of time polishing afterburner and their node effects for both F-16A and Tu-22. This is the result of latest progress on F-16A and Tu-22 Afterburner and afterburner node effects:

img00007z.jpg

img00008f.jpg

img00010x.jpg

img00011ru.jpg

img00012s.jpg

img00001vs.jpg

img00002d.jpg

img00004mn.jpg

img00006a.jpg

img00007f.jpg

I will start working on F-15A and other aircraft next, and I have learned alot about how these effects works, I am having fun experimenting different codes in .ini flies and materials for afterburner effects.

Eagle out...

Edited by Eagle114th

I have some Tu-22 mods on my WIP list, this effect is a very welcomed addition. Could I implement the Tu-22 effect in my addons? Have created a Tu-22U/UD/K/KD and some more version.