Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Tutorial: Adding missions to XvT/BoP

The first thing to figure out is the type of missions being installed.  In the example(s) I'll be using are Combat mission. However, those that are Training are the same. The only thing I'm not fully clear on, is how to add them for Campaign or Battle (which are different, as the stock ones are playable from BOTH Rebel and Imperial sides)

So, lets assume you've got a "single player" Combat mission set for the Rebel Alliance. We'll use the Headhunter TOD as the example. (and more Combat sets ARE coming!). As I use a 'folderized' mods add on, we'll skip the addition of the new mission folders (a simple copy/paste operation) to the main /Combat folder.

I'm using the new, recently released GoG versions, but the Original CD versions file structure is 100% identical, so these would apply there as well.

All mission set that I'll be uploading are for use in the BoP environment, as it added many 'new' ships to game.

Go to your Star Wars - XvT / BalenceOfPower/Combat folder.

Inside, you'll find 3 lst (or list) files. These are the controlers, so to speak, as they contain -in numerical, sequential order- the location(s) and names of the missions, both stock and add-on.

In each of the mission type folders (Train, Combat, Battle, Campaign) are these 3 files.

They are:

Imperial.lst (contains listing for Imperial players)

MIssion.lst (contains listing of ALL mission, for both sides)

Rebel.lst    (contains listing for Rebel Alliance players)

Below is an example, from the stock, mission.lst

[balance of Power]
//
8BRAW10.tie
Attack on Imperial Convoy near Mylok
8BMEW05.tie
Two on Two - Alliance CRLs vs Imperial STRKCs
8BMEW04.tie
4 Imperial Starships vs. Mon Calamari Cruiser Chie
8BRAW09.tie
Attack on Secret Imperial Base
8BIAB01.tie
Attack on Rebel Capital Ships
8BMEW03.tie
ISD Conqueror vs. 3 Alliance Frigates
8BRAB02.tie
Attack on Imperial Shipyard
8BMEW02.tie
Imperial STRKC Ull vs. Alliance DREAD Karei
//
[Rebel Alliance Operation: Quick Strike]
//
8B02W07.tie
Attack on Imperial Factory Drekker
8B02W06.tie
Ambush of Rebel Supply Recovery from Obran Cluster
8B02W11.tie
Attack on Tortali Platform
8B02W05.tie
Ambush Arms Smugglers near Ytha'ac Cluster
8B03B02.tie
Interdiction of Starfighter Deployment
8B03B04.TIE
Attack on Rebel Convoy near Athega
8B03B03.TIE
Rescue from Imperial Prison Ship Dargon
8B02W09.tie
Hit and Fade on Elliirad Platform
//
[imperial Operation: Clean Sweep]
//
8B02W15.tie
Dreadnaught Warlover Attacks Rebel Cargo Operation
8B02W03.tie
Raid on Goibniu Platform
8B02W08.tie
Raid on Rebel Factory Koensayr 42
8B02W14.tie
Attack on Imperial-class Star Destroyer Tormentor
8B02W12.tie
Ambush of Rebel Leader at Airam Platform
8B02W04.tie
Raid Imperial Convoy near Atterol
8B01G01.tie
Frigate Duel - Malevolent vs. Endeavor
8B03B01.tie
Attack on Victory-class Star Destroyer Formidable
//

You'll notice, that for some reason, the Balance of Power missions are out of sequence. They work just fine, but I believe that's because the other 2 are from XvT, and are stored "elsewhere". Don't worry about that for now. The original missions all work, so lets leave that alone.

You'll also notice the "page breaks" , indicated by the double back-slash (//). That's also very important, as it tells the game engine where things start and stop

Speaking of numbering sequences ... the mission.lst will ALWAYS have them in order (so to speak). Every mission set, Rebel (including New Republic), Imperial (including Imperial Remanent), or "Independent" , will follow the numerical sequence. It's ok to have breaks; you may have a set that runs 300-349, and the next set of numbers is 451-474. That's ok!

The only thing that matters is that they remain in sequence.

The converted sets I'll be uploading will contain the missions list, with the instructions to "copy/paste into the *** and mission.lst (*** for either Rebel or Imperial)

So, now you've got a mission set, and you want to install it. Still using the htod set, after unzipping it, move, copy/paste, ship by various Freighters (FRT, MTRNS, CARG, etc) the /htod folder INTO the .../BalanceOfPower/Combat folder

If the image is showing, you can see that I've already done the most important thing first -- BACKED UP THE ORIGINAL IMPERIAL.LST, MISSION.LST AND REBEL.LST !!!!!

(If the image is not showing, look down below)

You MUST do that first, before beginning to edit !!any!! of the lst files. I can't stress that enough!. They are the only copies available, and if you mess up, can easily restore to stock and start over.

So, now we're ready to add the new mission's listings...

Supplied with ALL addon mission sets (if the author is polite!) is an ***.lst file with the listings

Again, for example, we'll use the htod set. This listing will be found in the readme for that mission set (do NOT use the htod.lst; that's for Campaigns!! A whole different can of Sarlaccs)

//
[Headhunter Tour of Duty]
//
htod\Htod01.tie
Capture Spare Parts
htod\Htod02.tie
Capture Military Convoy
htod\Htod03.tie
Attack on Supply Convoy
htod\Htod04.tie
Ambush at Credine
htod\Htod05.tie
Destroy Imperial Supply Convoy
htod\Htod06.tie
Fleet Engagement!
htod\Htod07.tie
Destroy Training Center
htod\Htod08.tie
Recon Mission
htod\Htod09.tie
A Day in the Life
htod\Htod10.tie
Guard Duty
htod\Htod11.tie
Strike Home Part 1
htod\Htod11a.tie
Strike Home Part1a
htod\Htod12.tie
Strike Home Part 2
//

It should be noted at this time, all the numbering sequences for the mission sets I'll be uploading are arbitrary; simply chosen as a convenient way, by me, too keep track of things.

Now that we've got the new set's list, you copy the text, incuding the 2 sets of backslashes (//), and paste it into BOTH the mission.lst and (in this case) Rebel.lst.

If a set of backslashes already exists at the end of the previous listing, just paste over them. As long as those separators remain intact.

So, it should look like this (rebel.lst, with htod missions)

8B03B01.tie
Attack on Victory-class Star Destroyer Formidable
//
[Rebel Operaion: Headhunter Tour of Duty]
//
htod\Htod01.tie
Capture Spare Parts
htod\Htod02.tie
Capture Military Convoy
htod\Htod03.tie
Attack on Supply Convoy
htod\Htod04.tie
Ambush at Credine
htod\Htod05.tie
Destroy Imperial Supply Convoy
htod\Htod06.tie
Fleet Engagement!
htod\Htod07.tie
Destroy Training Center
htod\Htod08.tie
Recon Mission
htod\Htod09.tie
A Day in the Life
htod\Htod10.tie
Guard Duty
htod\Htod11.tie
Strike Home Part 1
htod\Htod11a.tie
Strike Home Part1a
htod\Htod12.tie
Strike Home Part 2
//
[TOD 1: A New Ally]
//

You'll note that I'm showing the last and next sets of missions header statements. You can see how the slashes separate them.

Now you can "save" and close the Rebel.lst.

Do the same procedure for the Mission.lst, and save it as well.

(don't forget to have backed up the original lsts first!!!!)

I hope I've made this understandable enough for New Players. If not, feel free to post in the main Star Wars forum below (the "Does everyone know how to add missions" thread), or drop me a PM.

Fly High and Shoot Straight!!

wrench

Kevin Stein

• Like 1