Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Transfer Flight

Jasta 17 had to transfer westwards, from Metz-Frescaty in the Verdun sector to St.Quentin-le-Petit
in the Marne region. A flight of 160 kilometers, which could be done in 1 hour.
I took off last, but managed to catch up with other fliers on the way. My Albatros D.II was running
so fine despite the bad weather, and I caught up with the group of Strasser, Buckler and Träger.

But they all flew too high, through the grey clouds - I needed to see the ground and some landmarks.
I was really happy, when I recognised Rethel north of the river Aisne - from here it was only a short
way to our new field. The rain and snow drizzle had something good - enemy fighters would have hardly
spotted our small transfer groups.

So now I'm at the Aisne front - I wonder what the future will bring for us...

I made this transfer flight in real time, and though there was no combat action at all, and although the weather was

rather dreadful, I enjoyed finding my way. Thank you, Winder, for the wonderful landscapes! They even look great

when the weather is bad!

full-27170-78044-transfer.jpg

Nice series of pics, Olham.  Nasty weather for sure.

Kind regards,

Dave

Yeah, that was end of February, I think.

Meanwhile I'm in April (after a hospital break of two weeks) - and it's still often bad.

Hoping for real spring!