Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Map 39: The Unification of Germany

The unification of the German Empire

The Franco-Prussian War, 40 years before World War I, birthed the unified German state. Prussia baited the French into launching a war, and then aligned with several small German states to decisively defeat France and seize the economically valuable Alsace-Lorraine province. The unified Germany that emerged from the war instantly became one of the most powerful states in Europe, overturning the continental balance of power. Germany's rising power alarmed Britain and Russia, drawing both countries into closer alignment with their long-time rival, France.

MAP_02 German_Reich1 (modified).png

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1

Very telling map. I just planned to add it as an appendix to an update (work still in progress - since years) to my Medals Pack for First Eagles. Rather than one single panel for the whole German Air Service, it would include four panels to be selected at will, for either a Prussian (default), Saxon, Bavarian or Württemberger pilot (my present pack proposes but Prussian and Saxon). All of them will include Prussian and Hohenzollern awards used as imperial awards during the Second Reich (Cross of Iron, Blue Max...) alongside specific royal awards, and some from other kingdoms, duchies and other minor to micro-states.

• The default Prussian panel will include awards from Saxony, Oldenburg, and the Free City of Hamburg.
  • The Saxon panel will include awards from Saxe-Ernestine (covering the SA,SCG & SMG duchies on the map) and the Free City of Hamburg.
  • The Bavarian panel will include awards from Baden and the most Catholic Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
  • The Württemberger panel will include awards from Baden.

A map like yours was clearly necessary to keep landmarks in this imperial mess, if you're not German (and even if you are, perhaps...).

... (and even if you are, perhaps...).

...and even if you are, indeed!

Before Prussia grew so big, Germany was even more a colourful patchwork rug.

Beautiful and clear map, Hauksbee - thank you for sharing!