Sign in to follow this  
Heck

Corsair II lawn darts

Just bought, installed, and patched WOV (version 7). I've flown a number of aircraft in single missions and campaign missions, but I find the A-7a, or b, almost impossible to fly in a loaded condition, no matter how I reduce the bombload. And my ai wingmen tend to become flaming lawn darts as soon as they're airborne. I know these two aircraft were considered underpowered, but I've never read of them being downright dangerous, as they're modelled here. The A-4 (which had lower installed power) handles like a dream by comparison. I've downloaded the A-7e from Column5, and, other than being a framerate killer in external view, it flies completely differently. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Or, can anyone tell me what to adjust in the extracted A-7a/b ini to fix it? Thanks.

i am trying the same here. will keep you posted. shouldnt be hard. Probably something like copying the SFP1 addon A-7 ini files in the WOV A-7 folder?

I found that if you try and climb to high to fast and turn really hard they smack the ground. What i do is keep my climb at about 1,500 ft per minute and stay straight untill the entire flight is up then start heading to the way points. You can turn but you need to make it a slow turn this gives them time to build up airspeed.

Edited by Agamemnon

Glad to see that I'm not the only one to notice the problem. And I have flown the A/B on missions, using the method described, a long slow climb without turns, it just didn't seem to jive with what I've read about these airplanes, because I can honestly say I wouldn't have wanted to haul my carcass into North Vietnam in either one for real, and this isn't the way pilots I've read described them. They were somewhat underpowered; I just feel it's exaggerated here. The impression became even more pronounced after I downloaded and flew Armour Dave's A-7B, D, and E. I also downloaded and flew his 105d-21 and 31. Wow! What an improvement in both! I'm not a pilot, just an avid reader, but Armour Dave's versions of both aircraft just seem to click with what I've read. Dave's 105 reminds me of what I've read in G.I. Basil's "Pak Six." Especially when I streaked over Phuc Yen last night doing the speed of light in a 105 as SAMS came from everywhere, and I left the Mig 21's in my smoke trail. Full burner. Jinking like hell through the flak bursts. Scared spitless. I do love this sim. Can you tell?

I'm a former Marine A-6a pilot. On a hot day" in country " loaded with bombs when you took off you would roll to 8000 ft and rotate.

You would the get the gear up as soon as possible,then milk the flaps up, then accelerate to 300 kts. in a shallow climb.Once you got to 300 you could do just about any maneuver. If you got into any problems at low altitude you would jettison everything immediately. The powers to be told us,bombs and fuel tanks are easy to replace, aircrews and aircraft were not.

I'm sure the A-7 a/b was the same way.

In the sfp1 notes it says to take off empty and stay low ,let the aircraft accelerate to top speed, if the speeds to slow you might want to go to the aircraft data.ini file and crank up the engine thrust or horsepower a bit.

To find out what speeds you need go to a search engine,I use google, and type in A-7aor b and it will show you a lot of useful websights where you can get this information.

Hope this helps.

I'm a former Marine A-6a pilot. On a hot day" in country " loaded with bombs when you took off you would roll to 8000 ft and rotate.

You would the get the gear up as soon as possible,then milk the flaps up, then accelerate to 300 kts. in a shallow climb.Once you got to 300 you could do just about any maneuver. If you got into any problems at low altitude you would jettison everything immediately. The powers to be told us,bombs and fuel tanks are easy to replace, aircrews and aircraft were not.

I'm sure the A-7 a/b was the same way.

In the sfp1 notes it says to take off empty and stay low ,let the aircraft accelerate to top speed, if the speeds to slow you might want to go to the aircraft data.ini file and crank up the engine thrust or horsepower a bit.

To find out what speeds you need go to a search engine,I use google, and type in A-7aor b and it will show you a lot of useful websights where you can get this information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll take a look for websites. Thanks to everyone who's responded.

LarryT