Sign in to follow this  
Stratcat

Questions from a Newbie.

Hello Everyone,

I found your forums from a user on the Saitek site, and you guys seem to be exactly the people I need to be talking to. Currently I am a BF2 player, but the only reason I play is to dogfight. So I have decided I want more, but there seem to be so many titles on the market I am not sure where to start. I have a decent PC with a 7800gtx, 2gb Ram, and I use a Saitek X52 stick.

My question to you is this. What title would be the best to purchase to get my feet wet in combat sims. I am not looking for "extreme" realism, although I want more than BF2 has for sure. Also, the "era" of the planes do not bother me.

Thanks in advance for all your help, and looking forward to hanging around here.

Rob aka. Strat

Hi & welcome to CA.

Is this for mainly online play?

The Il-2 series is probably the best for you in that case.

first welcome to Combatace,and now to your question...theres so many different opinions on this..for total realism..hands down Falcon 4:AF i mean clickable cockpits and all those radar modes..it's about as real as it gets without sitting in a F-16(of course theres the easy settings),for a prettier sim but not nearly as real theres LOMAC...great eye candy,and some really cool jets.then theres the "light"sim Strike Fighter:project1,Wings Over Vietnam,and now Wings over Europe:Cold War Gone Hot,these are not nearly as real as the others and they are not meant to be...TK is continuing support of these titles,and theres so many add-on aircraft,terrains,and different mods around for them,check the downloads section here.If you want WW2 then theres only 1 choice..IL-2 and ALL of it's add-ons,if you want to be a prop jock thats the only one worth having.

Hope this helps some.

Thank you for the replies, yes multiplayer is what I am looking for, and yes WW2 does interest me quite a bit. I am about to purchase a title, would you guys suggest Il-2 or Pacific Fighters?

Thank you for the replies, yes multiplayer is what I am looking for, and yes WW2 does interest me quite a bit. I am about to purchase a title, would you guys suggest Il-2 or Pacific Fighters?

Get both as you cant go wrong....

Get both as you cant go wrong....

There is a DVD Pack out that includes IL2/ Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters I think......that would be the best bet for IL2 series.

BTW.... Welcome to CombatAce.

Fates

There is a DVD Pack out that includes IL2/ Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters I think..

there definitely is in Europe & it's cheap.