I'm sure I didn't totally dream this. But when I first installed WOE I could fly the Mig 29 (I think) in the Single missions, but since patching WOE it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Couldn't see any threads about this problem.

Am I going mad, or is there a reason it's no longer in the list of available planes?

cheers,

Rob

There is no MiG-29 in WOE and MiGs are not supposed to be flyable in a stock install (except in multiplayer mode). MiGs and Sus have no 3d cockpits out of the box (they use a generic A-4 pit when you fly them in multiplayer).

The aircraft folders can be easily modified to assign cockpits and permit flying the non-flyable aircraft in single player. Downloadable mods exist that do so for you. There are also cockpits available for some MiGs and the MiG-29 is an addon aircraft that is available for download.

I'm sure I didn't totally dream this. But when I first installed WOE I could fly the Mig 29 (I think) in the Single missions, but since patching WOE it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Couldn't see any threads about this problem.

Am I going mad, or is there a reason it's no longer in the list of available planes?

cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob:

I think you might be mistaking the MiG-27 for the MiG-29. Yes, the unpatched WoE had the MiG-27 as flyable in single missions, but the first patch made it unflyable in single missions. You aren't going mad. I don't know why the change was made.

Tristan

Edited by Tristan

The change was made because the MiGs (lacking functional cockpits) are not supposed to be flyable in single player ;)

During beta testing, non-flyables were made flyable to make it easier to find 3d model and FM bugs, but the final release should only have the aircraft listed on the box in the flyable list.

but the final release should only have the aircraft listed on the box in the flyable list.

Ever heard of an Easter Egg? The MiG-27 had a functional cockpit out-of-the-box, just not a MiG-27 pit.

Edited by Tristan

They all have functional cockpits in multiplayer. You don't need to go online to fly them. Just select multiplayer. Host a co-op mission... Fly any aircraft on the drop down box. It is not an easter egg so much as a design feature to use the A-4 cockpit for any aircraft that doesn't have one.

However, a better way is to find an allied aircraft with similar systems and assign it to be the cockpit. For instance, the F-4E cockpit is perfect for the MiG-23 since both have radar, radar homing missiles and guns. With a few edits, the F-4E avionics can be altered to reflect MiG-23 capabilities...

However, in this case, a MiG-23 addon is available. You can either replace the stock MiG-23 with the addon or borrow the cockpit from the addon to use with the stock MiG-23.

The open nature of the game's file system provides almost unlimited options. Of course most people just want to play the game, so for them user mods are the way to go rather than editing files on their own. I have my own preferences and prefer to customize every to my liking when I am creating an install with mods... but for multiplayer, it is usually easiest to keep everything stock so anybody can join without having to find out what the host has installed and duplicate it exactly.

Edited by streakeagle

Is there some way that the WOE MiG-27 can be edited to fly in SFp1?

More MiGs= More targets!

Yes, all you have to do is extract the MiG-27 data from the objectdata.cat and copy that along with the aircraft's directory over to the aircraft directory for SFP1 or WOV.