Sign in to follow this  
Capt.Scarlet

Help with pc problems

Anyone would have any idea what is causing my system to deny me access to almost everything in my pc. I can login but can't execute any icon on my desktop. Says 'windows can't access the specified device,path,file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.' I tried system restore but dont have any good restore points. I can access to my msconfig and regedit but dont know what to look for. In my msconfig , i can see that a bunch of services are not running, what do i do to start those services ?? Hope someone can help me on this , i dont want to have to reformat and reinstall everything in that pc .... I can use some system in my pc if i dont pass by the desktop. ... I ran virus checks and my pc is clean ... :dntknw:

If you've manually removed anything recently, you may have deleted a .dll file or two. A DLL (Dynamically Linked Library) requires everything to be uninstalled properly, otherwise you can end up with errors. If thisa is in fact what has happened, you will have to reinstall Windows to get it corrected the right way. You can't just delete files and folders like you did with Windows 3.0 or even 98. After ME the DLL linked the OS to everything that was put into the computer. You HAVE to do it the way it's supposed to be done or you bone yourself and make the system unstable.

He has spyware/malware, and tons of it. I would not be surprised if he has loads of trojans and a few virii/worms on his machine as well.

It's time for the dreaded Windows refresh my man.

If you can't access anything on the computer, not even with the Administrator account, then you are between a rock and a very hard place. You need to do a complete reinstall of Windows and Apps.

-Skater

All that crap started after install of IE7 beta ... corrupted my windows/syst32/config/system file . I have reinstalled XP with my original CD and think is on the right way .. didn't have to reformat or anything so far ... but have to redo all the XP updates ... crap .... :sorry:

Sounds like you'll be all fixed up after the updates.

Good luck.

Found the problem .... same crap rehappened after installing update KB908531 . This is what corrupts some systems depending on what you have in your pc. Mine had the HW web-to-share package that conflicted with the update patch. I found the solution on the web, here is the link in case it happens to somebody else. I would never have found that on the microsoft website ...

http://claydawg.helpdesk.olemiss.edu/?p=90

I use his patch to correct the registery and it worked fine !!

Edited by Capt.Scarlet