Sign in to follow this  
BUFF

Saitek X-52 Pro?

Saitek are looking at a concept for a new version (there's also apparently another stick close to actual release but no details/pics of that).

"The materials on this Pro concept that we're thinking of are going to be improved too so that this stick, should it ever get made, will really be another level on from the current X52 - in cost as well as the overall feel. There will be metal used on the hats, rotaries and the centering disc under the spring,"

x52prora5.jpg

Now that paintscheme is a definite improvement over the current one. :haha:

I wonder if you'll be able to trade in your current Saitek for a Pro model?

Now that paintscheme is a definite improvement over the current one. :haha:

Saitek think that space sims are on the decline & that realistic is due a come back ...

Get rid of the funky trigger guard, and I'll bet many people will be very happy. :haha:

(Btw, are those extra buttons I see on the Throttle Quadrant?)

I might actually buy an X-52 if it looks like that ;)

I still like the appearance and functionality of the X-36 USB best, but making a black X-52 is a big step back in the right direction. Style aside, what made the X-36 and its successors superior to the competition was providing comparable functionality (and to a lesser extent quality) for half the price. If this "X-52 Pro" is really just a black X-52 with metal knobs and they charge a lot more $ for what is purely a superficial change, I would be more inclined to buy the original for value or CH Products for quality. I love the idea of the Thrustmaster Cougar, but the internals did not match the price.

I never understood why Saitek deviated from the all-black, realistic look since the majority of people spending the $ on this type of equipment tend to be the hard-core realism fanatics. Saitek sticks would also look a lot more realistic if they got rid of the "c" brace in front of the stick. What games other than realistic flight sims even need this kind of hardware? So why not make realistic sticks like CH Products and TM Cougar? It would really be nice if you could plug in the stick grip of the airplane you like as TM Cougar planned but never supported. I wish I had not thrown away my TM Top Gun Platinum sticks. I would love to adapt the grips from those to a Saitek base since they were the standard US grip from the F-4 and early F-15.

I never understood why Saitek deviated from the all-black, realistic look since the majority of people spending the $ on this type of equipment tend to be the hard-core realism fanatics. Saitek sticks would also look a lot more realistic if they got rid of the "c" brace in front of the stick. What games other than realistic flight sims even need this kind of hardware? So why not make realistic sticks like CH Products and TM Cougar?

I think that you may be surprised just how many people play/played the likes of Mechwar & Battlefield using Saitek HOTAS.

From my time on the Saitek board I would say that they are at least equivalent in nos to flightsimmers if not in the majority ...

If they do decide to put this out, I hope they tighten up the springs, even if just a little bit. I've gotten used to the lightness of it (actually, it feels more precise then my other joysticks), but I'd still like it to feel a bit more realistic.

Looking at the brace on the front, I'm thinking it's possible to remove it with little more than an allen wrench and a screwdriver. Unless of course the pinky switch is part of the hand rest on the bottom (which is attached to the brace by the screw on the front, which I don't think you're supposed to take off). I bet if I could get my old man to help, we could get it off.

Edited by Sky Captain

this is really sweet to me, I hope those new things below the display are trim wheels, that would be cool. This new product is really nice, I just would really love to have motorized trim wheels to avoid bounce whe n disengaging the autopilot. and auto throttle too... (motorized) that would kick ass! A fully force feedback X52 with this new look ...

edit: oh it has been my first post here !! eheh I just needed 1 year to post something..

and the red lights on the base of the stick??? do they indicate the axis center?? cool cool

Edited by IAT #1 zaGURUinzaSKY

I was at CompUSA this past weekend and played around with two of the joysticks on display:

ThrustMaster Cougar and Saitek X-52.

I have read many posts about the Cougar, so I know it has some problems with quality control and internal design including using old-style analog pots. However, it feels so solid. Perhaps it is worth the $250 even if I have to buy a kit to retrofit it with better sensors. The heavy spring does provide a lot of resistance, but in a way that permits smooth, precise operation (unlike my X-45 which I have modified to reduce spring tension for better precision control).

The X-52 feels even lighter than the X-36. I like the X-36 better than the X-45 because of its lighter/smoother control feel, but perhaps the X-52 makes it too light?

I wish I could fly with both sticks for a week and then decide which one I like better. The Cougar has the added bonus of being all-metal and an exact replica of a real stick... I just might get a Cougar, which I would have never even considered without having tried it out in the store.

As for the X-52 Pro: I question the value of the toggle switches at the base of the stick. The whole point of buying the more expensive HOTAS is to keep your Hands On the Throttle And Stick!!!! If I wanted to reach for a switch, that is what the keyboard and num pad are for. That isn't a problem on the cheaper AV8TOR stick since one hand is already free. Normally, I would say more buttons is always better, but not if I am not going to use them and they increase the price ;)

Edited by streakeagle

Well, you don't usually put down your gear in the middle of a dogfight, do you? :wink: I think Saitek put it there for those other, less used commands. And you could always use your forearm, right? :crazy:

this is really sweet to me, I hope those new things below the display are trim wheels, that would be cool. This new product is really nice, I just would really love to have motorized trim wheels to avoid bounce whe n disengaging the autopilot. and auto throttle too... (motorized) that would kick ass! A fully force feedback X52 with this new look ...

edit: oh it has been my first post here !! eheh I just needed 1 year to post something..

and the red lights on the base of the stick??? do they indicate the axis center?? cool cool

Remember, though, that wouldn't be the final look of it, if they decide to put it out.

Edited by Sky Captain