Sign in to follow this  
MAICO

Flying the Migs and How to get shot down by AAA

A lot of changes have been made since I went to XP last month. I can run everything maxxed out now. The sim is beautifull. I also downloaded Mk 2's excellent VPAF campaign. Ever since I started reading Osprey's "Mig-17 an Mig-19 Units of the Vietnam War" I have been itching to reload the Flyable Migs. This time I did the reload by the book and the A/C really perform. The 17 is a Star turn & burn machine while the 19 is more of a powerhouse with the stopping power of a cinder block wall. You get it set up and a snap shot will most often disable or disassemble your foe.

Of couse, read Osprey's book and you soon figure out that the Migs live happier in the weeds. I got good tips on missile evasion (I am still working on that). On the deck is where you discover that the low caliber AAA is not as forgiving as the heavy stuff. Fly over a machine gun truck and soon you will be saying "why did my engine stop?" "Am I really loosing altitude?" So earth moving missions have become really fun. Allmost as fun as tangleing with Phantoms, Thunderchiefs, Crusaders and yes, I even got F-104's in there.

I love this game. Soon I will have to start tackling the inevitable ini. file configurations. But for now, I am happy as a clam.

Yeah, it's my favourite too. Mainly I fly F4 and Mirage.

Good write up.

There is simply no other sim since Jane's Fighters Anthology that models this era so well. It is both fun and reasonably realistic. Each of the aircraft has a distinctive flight model that makes for interesting dogfights. If the AI was just a little smarter and the flight models just a little more realistic, this would almost be the perfect sim. Offline, I primarily fly various versions of the F-4. The F-4E has more power, maneuvering slats, and a built-in gun, which easily makes it my favorite variant for dogfighting. When I am online, I fly a wide variety of aircraft, but tend to fly the more difficult ones like the F-104, F-105, and F-100 to help out the newbies.